What is the method to obtain this integral result?

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a result involving an integral with a complicated integrand and the question of how it was derived. One participant suggests using the binomial expansion, but the result is different. Another participant suggests using the derivative of the CDF of a variable called gamma, but the person is still stuck and asks for further hints.
EngWiPy
Hello,

I am reading some material that using mathematics extensively, and I encountered with the following result:

[tex]\frac{N}{\overline{\gamma}}\,\int_0^{\infty}\gamma\,\left[1-\mbox{e}^{-\gamma/\overline{\gamma}}\right]^{N-1}\,\mbox{e}^{-\gamma/\overline{\gamma}}\,d\gamma=\,\overline{\gamma}\sum_{k=1}^N\frac{1}{k}[/tex]

How did they get there? I tried to use the binomial expansion and assemble the exponentials, but the result was totally different. Any hint will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that the integrand looks very much like a derivative of
[tex]\left( 1 - e^{-\gamma / \overline{\gamma}} \right)^N[/tex]
with respect to either gamma or gamma-bar.
Maybe you can use that to your advantage.

CompuChip said:
Note that the integrand looks very much like a derivative of
[tex]\left( 1 - e^{-\gamma / \overline{\gamma}} \right)^N[/tex]
with respect to either gamma or gamma-bar.
Maybe you can use that to your advantage.

Yes, you are right. the term [tex]\left[1-\mbox{e}^{-\gamma/\overline{\gamma}}\right]^N[/tex] is the CDF of [tex]\gamma[/tex]. In the integral it is intended to find the statistical average (the expected value) of [tex]\gamma[/tex] which needs the PDF of [tex]\gamma[/tex] which is the derivative of the CDF with respect to [tex]\gamma[/tex]. But I am still stuck. Any further hint?

Thanks in advance

1. How can I obtain funding for my research?

Funding for research can be obtained through various sources such as grants, fellowships, and scholarships. You can also look into crowdfunding platforms or reach out to potential investors. It is important to carefully research and apply for funding opportunities that align with your research goals and objectives.

2. What steps should I take to obtain ethical approval for my study?

To obtain ethical approval for your study, you should first identify the appropriate ethics committee or institutional review board (IRB) that oversees research in your field. Then, you will need to submit an application outlining your study design, potential risks and benefits, and how you will ensure participant confidentiality and informed consent. The committee will review your application and provide feedback or approval before you can begin your research.

3. How can I access specific research materials or equipment?

There are several ways to access research materials or equipment, depending on your needs. You can purchase materials from suppliers, collaborate with other researchers who have the equipment you need, or access them through shared facilities or repositories. You can also apply for grants or funding specifically for obtaining research materials or equipment.

4. What are the best practices for collecting and analyzing data?

The best practices for collecting and analyzing data vary depending on the type of research you are conducting. Generally, it is important to carefully plan and design your data collection methods, ensure reliability and validity, and properly store and organize your data. For data analysis, using appropriate statistical methods and being transparent about your data and analysis process is crucial. Consulting with a statistician or data analyst can also be helpful.

5. How can I publish my research findings in a scientific journal?

To publish your research findings in a scientific journal, you will need to first identify a journal that is relevant to your field and aligns with the scope of your research. Then, you will need to format your manuscript according to the journal's guidelines and submit it for review. The review process can take several rounds of revisions before your paper is accepted for publication. It is important to carefully follow the journal's guidelines and address any feedback from reviewers in order to increase your chances of publication.