Question about Flux through a closed surface

In summary: If you create a closed surface around a single pole of a magnet, you still have field lines coming in and going out...meaning that the single pole is actually a dipole.
Hoserman117
I understand that magnetic flux through a closed surface is zero, but what is the exact definition of a closed surface? The textbook I'm using is rather vague with this definition and I want to make sure I have the definition nailed down for the exam in case my professor tries anything tricky.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I may have just answered my own question. I think I've been reading over everything too quickly and not paying attention to the difference between flux and net flux.

Either way, some clarification could be nice. Would a flat disc still be considered a closed surface, with a net flux of zero, but applying flux=BAcos(theta) still give the flux out of the surface?

what is the exact definition of a closed surface?

Here's my attempt at a loose definition:

A closed surface has no "edge". So long as you stay on the surface, you can go round and round forever without running into any "edge" that stops you. An open surface does have an "edge" and you eventually encounter it so that you can proceed no further.

For anything better that that, you'll have to appeal to the mathematical branch called "topology."

A flat disc is not a closed surface, because (under my definition) sooner or later you reach its edge.

A spherical surface, on the other hand, is closed because you can go round and round on it forever; and this doesn't change if you distort it into another shape, so long as you don't "tear" it so as to introduce new "edges."

Can you set up a closed surface around one of the poles of a magnet? The problem I have is that it seems to violate the principle that the magnetic flux through a closed surface is always zero. Thanks

tomwilliam said:
Can you set up a closed surface around one of the poles of a magnet?

Sure, provided we let the surface pass through the magnet.

The problem I have is that it seems to violate the principle that the magnetic flux through a closed surface is always zero.

It doesn't. Consider the bar-magnet field lines in the diagrams on this page:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/elemag.html

Note the direction of the field lines inside the magnet.

Thanks.
So is it fair to say that if you create a closed surface around a single pole of a magnet, you still have field lines coming in and going out...meaning that the single pole is actually a dipole? In that case, I'm wondering whether splitting a magnet up into two poles is actually feasible, theoretically. I know that if you cut it in half, you create two dipoles...but if they actually remain as one it seems that each pole contains a dipole...if you get what I mean.
I realize that is a bit garbled, but hopefully someone will understand the question!

1. What is flux through a closed surface?

Flux through a closed surface is the measure of the flow of a vector field through the surface. It is a scalar quantity that represents the amount of the field passing through the surface per unit area.

2. How is flux through a closed surface calculated?

The flux through a closed surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector of the surface, and then integrating this product over the entire surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for flux through a closed surface?

The unit of measurement for flux through a closed surface depends on the unit of measurement for the vector field. For example, if the vector field represents electric field, then the unit for flux would be coulombs per square meter.

4. Can flux through a closed surface be negative?

Yes, flux through a closed surface can be negative. This can occur when the vector field and the normal vector of the surface are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product.

5. What is the significance of flux through a closed surface in physics?

Flux through a closed surface is an important concept in physics, as it is used to calculate the amount of a vector quantity passing through a given surface. It is particularly useful in understanding and analyzing electric and magnetic fields, as well as fluid dynamics.