Help with electroplating please

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of electroplating and the observation of copper deposits on a nickel after being placed in water for 20 minutes. The individual is curious about how this process works and questions the role of positive charges in attracting copper. Possible explanations include corrosion and impurities in the water, as well as the process of electrolysis.
aaronob
help with electroplating please! :)

I have a copper penny attached to the negative terminal of a 9V battery. I have a nickel (made of the metal nickel) attached to the positive terminal. I put this circuit in water. After 20 minutes, I notice that the nickel has orange deposits on it which I believe are copper.

Why does this work? It doesn't make sense to me. I thought copper had a positive charge and would not be attracted to another positively charged object.

Thanks!

Aaron

Physics news on Phys.org

The copper could be corroding , and what impurities are in the water , And I assume electrolysis is going on , not really sure though.

1. What is electroplating?

Electroplating is a process in which a metal is coated with a thin layer of another metal using an electric current. This process is used to improve the appearance, corrosion resistance, and durability of the metal.

2. What are the steps involved in electroplating?

The steps of electroplating include surface preparation, cleaning and degreasing the metal, immersion in a chemical solution, applying an electric current, and rinsing and drying the plated metal. These steps may vary depending on the specific type of electroplating process used.

3. What metals can be used for electroplating?

Commonly used metals for electroplating include gold, silver, nickel, copper, and chromium. Other metals such as zinc, tin, and platinum can also be used, depending on the desired outcome.

4. What are some common applications of electroplating?

Electroplating is used in various industries, including automotive, electronics, jewelry, and aerospace. It is commonly used to improve the appearance and durability of products, as well as to prevent corrosion and wear.

5. Is electroplating safe?

Electroplating can be safe if proper precautions are taken. The chemicals used in the process can be hazardous, so it is important to follow safety guidelines and wear protective equipment. The process should also be conducted in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhalation of fumes.