MCNP: SRCTP file with KCODE card

• Thread starter neutrino45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File Mcnp
In summary, MCNP is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through materials. The SRCTP file is used to define the source region and particles in an MCNP simulation, while the KCODE card specifies the type of calculation to be performed. To create a SRCTP file with a KCODE card, a text editor must be used to write the input file. However, there are limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using a SRCTP file with a KCODE card, such as ensuring the accuracy of source particle distribution and carefully verifying all input parameters.
neutrino45
Hey,

I'm modeling the criticality of a core for a university project using MCNP4C. I've run the core on the appropriate KCODE parameters, specifying the source using the KSRC card, and I was looking to cut down on the computing time using the SRCTP files.

My problem is that I can't find anywhere in the manual or online that describes how you go about using the SRCTP files. I am aware that you can use the RUNTP files in a continue run, however I want to compare similar but not identical cores, so this is not that useful.

Does anyone know the correct format or syntax for replacing the KSRC card with a SRCTP file?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to remove KSRC card and provide additional parameter in the execution command:
Code:
mcnp4c n=myinput srctp=mysrctp

Some MCNP4C-based codes have SRCTP card which you can use instead of KSRC for the same thing. MCNPX has currently very confusing error messages if you just skip KSRC card and do not use the extra parameter, so if it cannot find the existing srctp file - just add the parameter. One can also specify the parameter in the MESSAGE block of input file if you find it more convenient.

neutrino45 said:
Hey,

I'm modeling the criticality of a core for a university project using MCNP4C. I've run the core on the appropriate KCODE parameters, specifying the source using the KSRC card, and I was looking to cut down on the computing time using the SRCTP files.

My problem is that I can't find anywhere in the manual or online that describes how you go about using the SRCTP files. I am aware that you can use the RUNTP files in a continue run, however I want to compare similar but not identical cores, so this is not that useful.

Does anyone know the correct format or syntax for replacing the KSRC card with a SRCTP file?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Ahmed Adly

Hi there,

I'm not too familiar with MCNP4C, but I did some research and it looks like the SRCTP files are used to specify the source points and their respective intensities in a Monte Carlo simulation. From what I could find, it seems like the format for the SRCTP file is similar to the KSRC card, but with some additional parameters.

Here's an example of what the SRCTP file format might look like:

SDEF POS=0 0 0 PAR=1 ERG=D1 DIR=COS
SP1 1
SP2 2
SP3 3
SP4 4
SP5 5

In this example, the source is defined at the origin (0 0 0) with a particle type of 1 (neutron) and an energy distribution of D1 (continuous energy distribution). The direction of the particles is specified as cosine distribution. The following lines (SP1-SP5) would then list the source points and their respective intensities.

I hope this helps, but I would recommend checking with someone who has more experience with MCNP4C to confirm the correct format for your specific simulation. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is MCNP?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles through materials. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering, medical physics, and other fields to model radiation interactions and dose calculations.

2. What is the purpose of the SRCTP file in MCNP?

The SRCTP file is used to define the source region and source particles in an MCNP simulation. It contains information such as the source type, energy distribution, and location of the source.

3. What is the KCODE card in MCNP?

The KCODE card specifies the type of calculation to be performed in an MCNP simulation. It determines whether the simulation will be a fixed source calculation, an eigenvalue calculation, or a criticality search.

4. How do I create a SRCTP file with a KCODE card in MCNP?

To create a SRCTP file with a KCODE card, you will need to use a text editor to write the input file for your MCNP simulation. The input file will contain the necessary information for the SRCTP and KCODE cards, as well as other input parameters for your simulation.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations when using a SRCTP file with a KCODE card in MCNP?

Yes, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using a SRCTP file with a KCODE card in MCNP. These include ensuring that the source particles are not too close to the boundary of the source region, and that the source particles are distributed in a way that accurately represents the real source. It is also important to carefully check and verify all input parameters and assumptions before running the simulation.