Help with Relative Velocity Maths Vector Diagram

In summary, FateMaster is having trouble understanding vector diagrams used for relative velocity in their A-maths course. They are seeking help on this topic and have provided a link for further clarification. It is suggested that they be more specific in their problem and that they may find helpful resources in the homework forums.
FateMaster
Hmm... This is a chp in a-maths... I appear to be having a mental block regarding the vector diagram thingy... Help me please ? Thx... :cry: :cry:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To get any help you will need to post a problem.

Realli ? Hmm... Well... We can start with the basics... i dun even understand the basics of this topic... So... i guess you can start from there... ^^

FateMaster said:
Hmm... This is a chp in a-maths... I appear to be having a mental block regarding the vector diagram thingy... Help me please ? Thx... :cry: :cry:

For those of you not in the know, A-maths stands for Additional Mathematics, which is an additional subject you can take in Singapore/Brunei if you're really good at maths. FateMaster is having trouble understanding vector diagrams constructed for relative velocity.

FateMaster, you really need to be more specific in posting your problems. Understand that most people in PF (Physics Forums) are not from Singapore, or any South East Asian country. I'm from Brunei, though, so I perfectly understand your post. Unfortunately, we've yet to cover that topic in our A-Maths class.

We might be using the same textbook. The textbook that I'm using is "New Additional Mathematics" by Ho Soo Thong and Khor Nyak Hiong. Is there something in the book that is badly explained? If so, let me know. I might be able to help.

EDIT: I'm just curious. Are you in Secondary 3 or 4?

Last edited:
x-----> x-----> x-----> x----->

This shows a car (x) with a constant velocity using vector diagrams.

x x-> x--> x---> x----> x---------->

This shows a car (x) accelerating using a vector diagram.

I hope this was helpful.

Paden Roder

EDIT: maybe try this website to refresh your memmory. http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/mmedia/kinema/avd.html

Last edited by a moderator:
PRodQuanta, FateMaster is talking about vector diagrams used in finding relative velocity. :smile:

FateMaster, it may be helpful to look around in the homework forums. As I recall, there were quite a lot of problems being posted regarding this topic not too long ago.

AH, i see. Misunderstanding.

Paden Roder

This should refresh your memmory then:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l1f.html

Paden Roder

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is often represented as a vector.

2. Why is it important to understand relative velocity?

Understanding relative velocity is important for accurately describing the motion of objects in relation to each other. It is also necessary in many real-world applications, such as navigation and transportation.

3. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula v(rel) = v(a) - v(b), where v(rel) is the relative velocity, v(a) is the velocity of object A, and v(b) is the velocity of object B.

4. What is a vector diagram?

A vector diagram is a visual representation of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In the context of relative velocity, a vector diagram can be used to show the velocity of two objects and their relative velocity.

5. How can I use a vector diagram to solve problems involving relative velocity?

Vector diagrams can be used to visually understand the relationship between the velocities of two objects and their relative velocity. By accurately drawing and labeling the vectors, you can use basic geometry and trigonometry to solve for unknown quantities, such as speed or direction.