Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generator

In summary: I am stuck.In summary, the problem is that there is no rotating magnetic field to induce a voltage in the induction generator. The initial motor currents and angles may have to be set correctly in order to get the generator to work.
greg997
Hi,
I am doing a project and part of it is to simulate a self excitation of the induction generator. I know that it needs capacitors in order to receive reactive power. So I added a load block with capacitive power only. And there is no current nor voltage in the circuit. Why? What am I doing wrong? What is missing? Any rules for values of capacitor? Any hints/ suggustions are welcome.

Attachments

• Induction generator.jpg
    Induction generator.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,208
Physics news on Phys.org
It might be that there aint no remanence in the rotor and thus no rotating magnetic field to induce a voltage.

Try to set a initial voltage on the capacitors, it will then start as a motor. Or see if the dialog box for the induction generator have an option for remanence.

And don't Earth the neutral of the capacitor bank.

Hi, what i did to to set stator currents to 1 in initial conditions. I have not found remenance options and I was not able to set voltage across capcitors. I notice that currents are unbalaced and out of phase, I guess. It works but not as expected. What can I do?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 979
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 828
I have managed to make it work properly. I had to set phase angle in initial conditions to 0 120 and 240.

Hello

I have the same problem. I cannot run self-excitated induction generator...

I put initial motor currents =1A and initial motor angles 0,120,240

But still doesn't work

Please help me

below attached print-screens:

layout and data
voltage and currents plots

Greets;)

Attachments

• Ind_gen_1.jpg
    Ind_gen_1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,002
  • Ind_gen_current.jpg
    Ind_gen_current.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 851
  • Ind_gen_voltage.jpg
    Ind_gen_voltage.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 842
Hi,

The way I solved my problem was not a correct one. I found out later. What you have to do is add one synchronous generator, connect it somewhere. Then in the powergui block you run Load Flow and Machine Init. Then you set the synchronous generator as the swing bus, and for the induction one you set the power. Remember to update. And that's all, I think then you can disconnect and remove the synchronous generator. Hope it helps. good luck

greg997 said:
Hi,

The way I solved my problem was not a correct one. I found out later. What you have to do is add one synchronous generator, connect it somewhere. Then in the powergui block you run Load Flow and Machine Init. Then you set the synchronous generator as the swing bus, and for the induction one you set the power. Remember to update. And that's all, I think then you can disconnect and remove the synchronous generator. Hope it helps. good luck

Hello Greg. Thank you for your reply.

I will follow your tips and try what will happen.

But I have a question: necessity of use of synchronous generator in that simulation means that I cannot simulate stand alone induction generator?

Greets;)

Hi,
Like I said, you need the synchronous one only when starting the induction generator for the very first time. Then you do not need it any more. I have heard that in old Matlab version it was not necessary to initialize the generator, it just worked. If you still don't have voltage then play with capacitors, increase or decrese the capacitance.That should work. Let me know how it went.Good luck

greg997 said:
Hi,
I am doing a project and part of it is to simulate a self excitation of the induction generator. I know that it needs capacitors in order to receive reactive power. So I added a load block with capacitive power only. And there is no current nor voltage in the circuit. Why? What am I doing wrong? What is missing? Any rules for values of capacitor? Any hints/ suggustions are welcome.
Hi did u get this one workng by any chance? I've the same one for m assignment.

hi guys am also doing a project on self-excited induction generator but i cannot seem be getting it alright in MATLAB/Simulink it just give me wrong results please help,I have calculated the size of excitation capacitors correctly but it does not seem to work on Simulink,please help

Could you please tell me how did you calculate the capacitor of self excited induction generator?

if anyone have a model for this project. please share it with me
I have the same project also. If you still have your model please let me know

Hi,
Actually I have the same project SEIG please help me by the model of it

1. What is Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generator?

Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generator is a method of modeling and simulating the behavior of an induction generator using the Matlab/Simulink software. It involves creating a mathematical model of the induction generator and using it to analyze its performance under different operating conditions. This method is commonly used in the field of power systems engineering and is widely used in the design and control of induction generators.

2. How does self-excitation work in an induction generator?

Self-excitation is the process by which an induction generator produces its own magnetic field without the need for an external source. This is achieved by connecting the generator to a capacitor bank, which creates a reactive power that is used to excite the generator's stator windings. As a result, the generator is able to produce a voltage and supply power to the connected load. This method is commonly used in applications where a stable and reliable power supply is required.

3. What are the benefits of using Matlab/Simulink for self-excitation in an induction generator?

There are several benefits of using Matlab/Simulink for self-excitation in an induction generator. Firstly, it allows for accurate and efficient modeling of the generator's behavior under different operating conditions. This can help in the design and optimization of the generator for maximum efficiency. Additionally, Matlab/Simulink provides a user-friendly interface for simulating and analyzing the generator's performance, making it easier for engineers to understand and interpret the results.

4. Are there any limitations to using Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generators?

While Matlab/Simulink is a powerful tool for modeling and simulating induction generators, it does have some limitations. One of the main limitations is the availability of accurate data and parameters for the generator's model. This can affect the accuracy of the simulation results. Additionally, the complexity of the model and simulation can also be a limitation for those who are not familiar with the software.

5. How can I learn more about Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generators?

There are several resources available for learning more about Matlab/Simulink self-excitation for induction generators. One option is to take an online course or tutorial on the software, which can provide a comprehensive overview of its features and capabilities. Additionally, there are many textbooks and research papers available on the subject that can provide in-depth information on the theory and applications of self-excitation in induction generators.