How to get the scattered dose from concrete using MCNP5?

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining the scattered dose from a surface like concrete using MCNP5 for a shielding project. One suggestion is to use the "surface current" tally, while another is to use the "track length estimator" tally. Both options involve specifying concrete as the material and calculating the scattered dose in a specific energy range.
DF19
Hello fellow nuclear engineers and physicists,

Does anyone know how to just get the scattered dose from a surface like concrete using MCNP5? I'm doing a project for a shielding class and I need to compare scattered dose and direct (uncollided) dose for a point detector. The photons are coming from a point source.

I've experimented with tallies associated with energy bins, but it's getting real complicated and I can't find a clever way to filter just the photons scattered from concrete.

My only theory is finding the dose with just air, then finding the dose with the concrete and air and subtracting the two to find the scattered dose from the concrete.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is my input file, it has the geometry in it.

Attachments

• project.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 526

Hi there,

I'm not an expert in MCNP5, but have you tried using the "surface current" tally? This tally is specifically designed for calculating the currents on surfaces, so it might be useful for your project. You can specify the material of the surface (in this case, concrete) and the energy range you're interested in, and it should give you the scattered dose in that specific energy range.

Another option could be to use the "track length estimator" tally, which calculates the total path length of particles in a specific material. You could specify concrete as the material and get the total path length of scattered photons in that material, which you could then use to calculate the scattered dose.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. How does MCNP5 calculate the scattered dose from concrete?

MCNP5 uses the Monte Carlo method to simulate the interactions of particles with matter. It tracks individual particles as they travel through the concrete, taking into account the different materials and densities present. By analyzing the results of these simulations, the scattered dose from concrete can be calculated.

2. What are the parameters needed to run a simulation in MCNP5?

To calculate the scattered dose from concrete using MCNP5, you will need to input the geometry and composition of the concrete, the type and energy of the particles, and the desired scoring region and energy cutoffs. Additional parameters such as source strength and location may also be required depending on the specific simulation.

3. Can MCNP5 accurately model complex concrete geometries?

Yes, MCNP5 has the capability to model complex geometries with high accuracy. It uses a voxel-based system, breaking the geometry into small cells to accurately represent the different materials and densities present in the concrete. By adjusting the size and number of cells, the level of detail and accuracy can be controlled.

4. Is there a way to validate the results of MCNP5 simulations?

Yes, there are several methods for validating the results of MCNP5 simulations. One approach is to compare the calculated results with experimental data. Another option is to run multiple simulations with varying parameters and compare the results to ensure consistency. Additionally, MCNP5 has built-in tools for verifying the accuracy of the simulation setup.

5. Can MCNP5 be used to calculate the scattered dose from other materials besides concrete?

Yes, MCNP5 can be used to calculate the scattered dose from a variety of materials, including metals, plastics, and biological tissues. The simulation setup may vary depending on the specific material and the type of particles being modeled, but the underlying principles and capabilities of MCNP5 remain the same.