How can particles undergo EM interactions *and* have definite strong isospin?

In summary: The charge operator Q = Iz + Y/2, where Y is the hypercharge. For protons and neutrons, Y = 1. The electromagnetic Hamiltonian does not commute with Iz by itself, or Y by itself, but it does commute with the combination Q.
depeche1
I am deeply confused about the following and I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help! Consider a charged hadron such as a proton. Amongst the state-independent properties that define a proton are strong isospin Iz=1/2 and charge Q=e. Now, the total Hamiltonian for a proton is

Hs +Hem +Hw,

where these denote the strong, electromagnetic and weak interaction Hamiltonians respectively. And in the rest frame of the proton p, which has mass m, we have

Hs +Hem +Hw|p> = m|p>

where |p> is the wavefunction of the proton. Since Iz=1/2 and charge Q=e are two of the state-independent properties that define the proton, presumably this means that

Hs +Hem +Hw|Iz=1/2, Q=e> = m|Iz=1/2, Q=e>

- otherwise it wouldn't be the eigenvalue equation for a proton wavefunction. But the electromagnetic Hamiltonian Hem does not commute with Iz; so how can the proton be evolving in accordance with the above Hamiltonian *and* have definite isospin?!

Any help really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge operator Q = Iz + Y/2, where Y is the hypercharge. For protons and neutrons, Y = 1. The electromagnetic Hamiltonian does not commute with Iz by itself, or Y by itself, but it does commute with the combination Q.

It also commutes with I. Protons and neutrons form an isospin doublet with I = 1/2.

Bill_K said:
The charge operator Q = Iz + Y/2, where Y is the hypercharge. For protons and neutrons, Y = 1. The electromagnetic Hamiltonian does not commute with Iz by itself, or Y by itself, but it does commute with the combination Q.

It also commutes with I. Protons and neutrons form an isospin doublet with I = 1/2.

That's certainly true. But as far as I can see, these observations don't resolve the original problem - namely that of why it is that, when listing the fundamental intrinsic properties of the proton, we include that it is an Iz=1/2 particle (in addition to being a *total* isospin I=1/2 particle) given that when it's evolving in accordance with its full (strong plus electroweak) Hamiltonian, the third component of isospin isn't even defined in it's own rest frame? Why *do* we regard it as an intrinsic property of the proton that it is an Iz=1/2 particle if that property isn't even well-defined along with its total energy? It seems so counter-intuitive (to me!)

It also commutes with I

Sorry this is *not* true! Must eat my words. The strong Hamiltonian commutes with isospin, while the electromagnetic part does not.

1. How can particles have both electromagnetic and strong isospin interactions?

Particles can have both electromagnetic (EM) and strong isospin interactions because they are governed by different fundamental forces. Electromagnetic interactions are mediated by the exchange of photons, while strong isospin interactions are mediated by the exchange of gluons. These forces act on different properties of particles, with EM interactions being based on electric charge and strong isospin interactions being based on a quantum property called isospin.

2. What is the relationship between EM interactions and isospin?

The relationship between EM interactions and isospin is that they are both fundamental forces that govern the behavior of particles. EM interactions are responsible for the attraction or repulsion between particles based on their electric charge, while isospin interactions are responsible for the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom.

3. How do particles maintain their definite strong isospin?

Particles maintain their definite strong isospin through the exchange of gluons. Gluons act as the force carriers for the strong nuclear force and are constantly being exchanged between particles, keeping them bound together. This allows particles to maintain their isospin and form stable nuclei.

4. Can particles change their isospin?

Yes, particles can change their isospin through interactions with other particles. Isospin is a quantum property that can change when particles interact with each other, similar to how electric charge can change when particles interact electromagnetically.

5. How does the concept of isospin relate to the classification of particles?

The concept of isospin is related to the classification of particles because it is used to categorize particles into different groups based on their properties. Similar to how particles are classified based on their electric charge, they can also be classified based on their isospin. This allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles and how they interact with each other.