How hard are the SAT's and how can I get a good score on them?

• Testing
  • Thread starter New ton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, preparing for the SAT can be challenging, but with focused studying and practice, it is possible to excel on the exam. It is important to review and understand grammar rules, practice with sample questions, and approach trick/logic questions with a clear and logical mindset. With determination and hard work, success on the SAT is achievable.
New ton
I took some practice online SAT questions yesterday. I thought the math ones were easy, or at least seem possible to grasp if one studies it. The English grammar correction part was extremely hard for me even though its one of my best subjects; most of the answers were subjective and really technical. I'm going to be taking them for the first time soon.

Does anybody have experience with the SAT's? Any suggestions, tips, etc. to study for this? Many of the problems seem to be trick/logic questions rather than hardcore academic understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand the importance of studying and preparing for exams, especially ones as important as the SAT. Based on your experience with the practice questions, it seems like you have a good grasp on the math portion, but struggle with the English grammar correction section. This is a common challenge for many students, even those who excel in English.

My suggestion would be to focus on understanding the rules of grammar and punctuation. There are many resources available online and in books that can help you review and practice these rules. It may also be helpful to read and analyze different types of writing, such as essays or articles, to familiarize yourself with sentence structure and grammar usage.

In addition, practicing with sample SAT questions can also be beneficial. This will not only help you become more familiar with the types of questions that will be asked, but also allow you to identify any areas where you may need more practice.

As for the trick/logic questions, it is important to approach them with a clear and logical mindset. Take your time to read and understand the question before attempting to answer it. If you are unsure of the answer, try to eliminate any obviously incorrect choices and then make an educated guess.

Overall, my advice would be to dedicate some time each day to studying and practicing for the SAT. With determination and hard work, I am confident you will do well on the exam. Best of luck to you!

1. How hard are the SAT's compared to other standardized tests?

The SAT's are generally considered to be one of the more challenging standardized tests, as they cover a wide range of subjects and require critical thinking skills. However, the difficulty level can vary for each individual depending on their strengths and weaknesses.

2. What is a good score on the SAT?

A good score on the SAT is typically considered to be above 1200 out of 1600. However, this can vary depending on the college or university you are applying to. It's important to research the average SAT scores of the schools you are interested in to determine what score you should aim for.

3. How can I prepare for the SAT?

There are several ways to prepare for the SAT, including taking practice tests, studying with prep books or online resources, and enrolling in a test prep course. It's also important to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the SAT and to create a study schedule that works for you.

4. Can I improve my SAT score?

Yes, with dedication and hard work, it is possible to improve your SAT score. By identifying your weaknesses and focusing on areas that need improvement, you can make significant progress. Taking practice tests and seeking guidance from a tutor or test prep course can also help increase your score.

5. Are there any strategies for taking the SAT?

Yes, there are several strategies that can help you perform better on the SAT. These include time management techniques, process of elimination for multiple choice questions, and focusing on your strengths. It's also important to stay calm and focused during the test and not get discouraged by difficult questions.