Can Modifying an Air Ionizer Increase Spark Length and Voltage?

In summary, charge is a property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force, measured in coulombs. Voltage, measured in volts, is the measure of potential difference between two points in a circuit and is related to charge through Ohm's Law. AC and DC voltage differ in their direction of flow and can be adjusted using a transformer, voltage regulator, or variable resistor.
hodges
I have a high voltage generator taken from an air ionizer ("negative ion generator"). I am able to draw approximately 1/8 inch spark between the HV lead and ground.

I had an idea to increase the voltage and length of the spark. Using a setup similar to a Van De Graaf generator in principle, I would place the HV lead inside a sphere. Ions should leave the HV lead, causing a negative charge to continuously build on the sphere.

So I cut the top off an aluminum soft drink can and bent down the sharp edges. I pushed the open side into an styrofoam coffee cup. I punched a hole in the bottom of the styrofoam cup and pushed the high voltage wire (with the end exposed) through this hole so the end of the wire is inside the can but not touching the metal on the can. Sure enough, I was now able to get longer sparks - nearly 1/2 inch long to the can and much brighter than the sparks produced using the ion generator alone.

So far so good. However, next I tried connecting the HV lead directly to the can, instead of letting the can be charged by ions. The result was almost identical. I got a spark nearly 1/2 inch long. The spark appears to be the same length and intensity whether the HV lead is inside the can (not touching), touching the inside of the can, or even connected to the outside of the can.

I have two questions. First, should I be able to get a higher voltage than that produced by the ion generator (limited only by the rate of leakage from whatever I use for a sphere) as I expect? Second, how am I also getting the same higher voltage with the HV lead connected directly to the can? How could the voltage on the can be higher than the voltage produced by the ion generator when they are connected together?

Thanks,
Hodges

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to share my thoughts on your experiment and answer your questions.

Firstly, it is definitely possible to increase the voltage and length of the spark by using a setup similar to a Van De Graaf generator. This is because the Van De Graaf generator uses the principle of electrostatic induction to continuously build up a high voltage charge on the sphere, which can then be discharged through a spark. In your setup, the styrofoam cup and aluminum can act as the sphere, and the high voltage lead serves as the source of charge.

In terms of the voltage, you are correct in assuming that the voltage on the sphere (can) should be higher than that produced by the ion generator. This is because the ion generator has a limited output voltage, whereas the Van De Graaf setup can continue to build up charge and reach much higher voltages. However, the rate of leakage from the sphere will also play a role in determining the final voltage reached. If the leakage rate is high, the voltage on the sphere will not be able to increase significantly.

Now, regarding your second question, it is important to note that the voltage on the can may not necessarily be higher than the voltage produced by the ion generator. It is possible that the voltage on the can is simply equal to the voltage produced by the ion generator. This could happen if the leakage rate from the sphere is high, or if the ion generator is producing a high voltage to begin with.

In order to determine the exact voltage on the can, it would be useful to measure it with a voltmeter. Additionally, it would be helpful to vary the distance between the high voltage lead and the can, as well as the size and material of the sphere, to see how these factors affect the voltage and spark length.

In conclusion, your experiment is a great example of electrostatic induction and the principles behind Van De Graaf generators. I would encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different setups to better understand the behavior of high voltage charges.

First of all, it is important to note that increasing the voltage and length of the spark can be dangerous and should be done with caution. It is also important to understand the principles of electricity and how it behaves in order to properly manipulate it.

To answer your first question, it is possible to get a higher voltage than that produced by the ion generator. This is because the ions leaving the HV lead and building up on the sphere create a charge separation, with the sphere becoming negatively charged and the ion generator becoming positively charged. This creates a potential difference between the two, allowing for a higher voltage to be generated. The rate of leakage from the sphere will determine how high the voltage can go.

As for your second question, connecting the HV lead directly to the can is essentially creating a capacitor. The can becomes one plate of the capacitor and the HV lead becomes the other, with the air in between acting as the dielectric. This allows for a higher voltage to be stored on the can, similar to how a Leyden jar works. This is why you are getting the same higher voltage with the HV lead connected directly to the can.

In conclusion, by using a setup similar to a Van De Graaf generator and creating a charge separation, you are able to achieve a higher voltage than that produced by the ion generator alone. And by connecting the HV lead directly to the can, you are essentially creating a capacitor, allowing for an even higher voltage to be generated. However, it is important to handle high voltages with caution and to fully understand the principles involved before attempting any modifications to your setup.

1. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical force an object possesses. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

2. What is voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is measured in units of volts (V) and is a measure of the force that drives the flow of electric charge.

3. How are charge and voltage related?

Charge and voltage are directly related, meaning that a change in one will result in a change in the other. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC voltage?

AC (alternating current) voltage changes direction periodically, while DC (direct current) voltage flows in only one direction. AC voltage is used in most household electrical systems, while DC voltage is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

5. How can voltage be increased or decreased?

Voltage can be increased or decreased by using a transformer. A transformer works by changing the number of windings in a wire, which changes the voltage level. Alternatively, voltage can also be increased or decreased by using a voltage regulator or a variable resistor.