Yahoo's IPv6 Day: Testing Your System and Understanding the Need for IPv6

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of IPv6 and its necessity in today's internet landscape. The person is concerned about their current IPv4 setup and whether they need to upgrade their equipment to support IPv6. They also question the need for IPv6 given the use of NAT on the consumer side. The answer is that while IPv4 is still functioning, there are many benefits to switching to IPv6, especially with the growing number of devices online. It is recommended that large businesses consider making the switch in the near future.
DoggerDan
Here: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ipv6/

I stumbled across this page and took the IPv6 test. I'm IPv4 only, even though I bought a new Cisco wireless access point and router just a few weeks ago. Is the router not ready for 6? Is my ISP's DSL modem no ready for 6? Is it something else?

Your system will continue to work for you on World IPv6 day. However, we found that you only have IPv4 at this time. You'll simply continue to use IPv4 to reach your favorite web sites.

In answer to their "What is IPv6 and why is it necessary?" answers, I thought NAT on the consumer side negated the issue of non-unique IP addresses i.e. it was only the supplier (web site) addresses which would bump up against the limit.

What's the real answer? Do we need to upgrade all of our equipment, or did NAT negate that?

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are some good reasons in the following link and the subsequent pages that explain why IPv6 us superior to IPv4:
https://www.ipv6.com/general/top-10-features-that-make-ipv6-greater-than-ipv4/In general, it is assumed that with the growing number of devices going online, at one point of time, IPv4 would become obsolete. One site recommended that large businesses should think about switching over to IPv6 sooner or later. Till this date, IPv4 is still functioning, but who knows about the future?

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is IPv6 and why is it important for Yahoo to have an IPv6 day?

IPv6 stands for Internet Protocol version 6 and it is the most recent version of the IP protocol that is used to identify and locate devices on the internet. IPv6 is important for Yahoo to have a specific testing day because it is necessary for websites and internet service providers to transition to IPv6 in order to accommodate the growing number of internet-connected devices and to ensure the stability and security of the internet in the future.

2. How will Yahoo's IPv6 day affect my internet experience?

Yahoo's IPv6 day will not have any direct impact on your internet experience as a user. However, it is an important step in the transition to IPv6 and it will help identify any potential issues that may arise during the transition process.

3. Do I need to do anything to prepare for Yahoo's IPv6 day?

As a user, you do not need to do anything to prepare for Yahoo's IPv6 day. However, if you are a website owner or internet service provider, it is recommended that you test your systems and make any necessary updates to ensure compatibility with IPv6.

4. Will Yahoo's IPv6 day affect my current IP address?

No, Yahoo's IPv6 day will not affect your current IP address. IPv6 and IPv4 (the previous version of the IP protocol) can coexist and your devices will continue to use whichever version is available.

5. What are the potential benefits of transitioning to IPv6?

Transitioning to IPv6 will allow for a larger pool of available IP addresses, which is essential as the number of internet-connected devices continues to grow. It will also improve internet performance and security and allow for the implementation of new technologies and services in the future.