What is this constant in the gravitational acceleration formula?

In summary, the formula given for acceleration in this problem is a special case of the Universal Law of Gravity, where the gravitational acceleration is equal to the gravitational constant for Earth (μE) multiplied by the position vector of the satellite divided by the third power of the distance. This formula can be derived from the more general formula for gravitational force, where the force is equal to the product of the masses and the gravitational constant, divided by the third power of the distance between the masses. The gravitational constant (G) is a fundamental constant in physics and is equal to 6.67259 x 10^-11 Nm^2kg^-2.
Kyle91

Homework Statement

Hey all, I'm doing an assignment and I was given the formula below, but I'm unsure what one of the constants is.

Homework Equations

Acceleration = - μEr/r3

The Attempt at a Solution

Below the formula it says "where μE is the gravitational constant for the Earth and r is the position vector of the vehicle". But this is talking about a satellite orbiting Earth, so it can't be 9.8m/s/s, can it?

Am I meant to use μE = u*m1*m2/r2 to find it?

I've used the 'geocentric gravitational constant' elsewhere in the assignment, but it used a different symbol, this isn't it either is it?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct formula you asked about is

[tex]\vec a = -\mu_e \frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

[itex]\vec r [/itex] is the position vector of a satellite or any point-like mass with respect to the centre of Earth, and [itex]\vec a [/itex] is its gravitational acceleration. The formula is a special case of the Universal Law of Gravity,

[tex]\vec F = -G \frac{m_1 m_2 \vec r}{r^3}[/tex]

the force a point mass 1 exerts on an other point mass 2 at distance r. The force is parallel and opposite to the vector [itex]\vec r[/itex] pointing to mass 2 from mass 1.
G is the gravitational constant G= 6.67259 ˙10-11 Nm2kg-2.

If the first mass is the Earth, Gm1=GMearthe.

ehild

Is that 'Gravitational Constant' the 'Universal Gravitational Constant (6.67*10-11' Nascent?

Ignore my above post.

That makes sense ehild! Because F = ma, a = F/m. You remove the mass of the satellite from your second formula and exchange F for a. Leaving you with a = G*mE*r/r3.

Thanks!

All right, I see you got it.

ehild

1. What is the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula?

The constant in the gravitational acceleration formula is denoted by "g" and is equal to the acceleration due to gravity on Earth's surface. It is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula calculated?

The constant "g" is calculated by dividing the force of gravity acting on an object by its mass. This value is influenced by the mass and radius of the planet or object, as well as the universal gravitational constant (G).

3. Why is the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula important?

The constant in the gravitational acceleration formula is important because it allows us to calculate the force of gravity acting on an object on Earth's surface. This is crucial in understanding the motion and behavior of objects under the influence of gravity.

4. How does the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula vary on different planets?

The value of the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula varies on different planets due to differences in their mass and radius. For example, the constant would be lower on a smaller planet with less mass and higher on a larger planet with more mass.

5. Can the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula change?

The value of the constant in the gravitational acceleration formula can change depending on the location and circumstances. For example, it would be different on the Moon or in orbit around Earth. It can also vary slightly due to factors such as altitude and latitude on Earth's surface.