Maximum Battery Charging Amperage

In summary, the maximum number of amps that can be put through a battery to charge it is based on the battery's temperature and voltage. If the battery is undercharged, sulfate crystals will form on the plates and it will eventually lose capacity. If the battery is overcharged, the gasses will build up and will eventually cause the battery to blow.
Cantari
Hi all,

I am trying to determine what is the maximum number of amps I can charge 4 batteries that are in parallel and series ( 4x12V batteries) to produce 24 volts.

I have the specs on the batteries and everything but can not seem to determine how many amps they can handle when being charged? I even talked to the distributor and he kinda just told me "Yah, you should be fine", but couldn't provide me with any kind of calculations or limitations on the batteries.

They are charged at 28 (+ or - 1) volts and sometimes spike at ~150 amps.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you are considering lead-acid batteries (deep cycle perhaps)? Battery charging current is very dependent on their temperature. I'm surprised your specifications don't mention this. Anyway, I'm not endorsing this paper but from my experiences with maintaining a UPS battery bank consisting of 10 in series, this sounds correct:

Improper Charging

Battery manufacturers specify a voltage range for their various cells that must be adhered to. If the voltage on a given cell is allowed to go either higher or lower than the recommended value, it will have a detrimental effect on the life of the battery. It should also be noted that the specified voltage range is very temperature dependent. The right voltage for a battery at 77°F would be too high if the battery was operated in an ambient temperature of 90°F. It is important for a user to understand the interaction between voltage and temperature.

Low float voltage (Undercharging) – Undercharging causes sulfate crystals to form on the plate surfaces, since there is not enough current flowing to keep the battery fully charged. Sulfate crystals that harden over a long period of time will not go back in solution when proper voltage is applied and, therefore, result in a permanent loss of capacity. Extended undercharging will also cause a loss of active material from the negative plates.

High float voltage (Overcharging) – Overcharging causes excessive gassing of hydrogen and oxygen. This leads to loss of water in flooded cells and dryout in VRLA cells. High float voltage also causes higher float current, which in turn causes accelerated corrosion and shedding of active material from positive plates. The recombination of gases to form water in VRLA cells generates heat, and heat causes higher float currents. Therefore, excessive gassing in VRLA cells can lead to thermal runaway.

More here:

http://www.powerengineer.com/Reliable%20Battery%20Systems.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is maximum battery charging amperage?

Maximum battery charging amperage refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that can be safely and efficiently delivered to a battery during the charging process. It is typically measured in amps and varies depending on the type and size of the battery.

2. Why is maximum battery charging amperage important?

Maximum battery charging amperage is important because it determines how quickly a battery can be charged and also affects the overall health and lifespan of the battery. Charging a battery with too high of an amperage can cause damage, while charging with too low of an amperage can result in a longer charging time.

3. How do I determine the maximum charging amperage for my battery?

The maximum charging amperage for a battery can usually be found in the manufacturer's specifications or on the battery itself. It is important to consult these guidelines to ensure safe and efficient charging.

4. Can I charge a battery at a higher amperage than the maximum?

No, it is not recommended to charge a battery at a higher amperage than the maximum. This can cause damage to the battery and may even pose a safety risk.

5. Is there a minimum charging amperage for batteries?

Yes, there is a minimum charging amperage for batteries. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines to determine the minimum amperage needed for safe and efficient charging. Charging a battery with too low of an amperage can result in a longer charging time and may not fully charge the battery.