Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states

In summary: Computation and Quantum Information" by Nielsen and Chuang, or the paper "Introduction to the Theory of Quantum Information Processing" by Wilde.In summary, the paper "Unambiguous discrimination among quantum operations" discusses the ability to distinguish between different operations that can be applied to a quantum system. The conversation also explores the proposition that two quantum states can be perfectly distinguished if and only if their supports (the subspaces spanned by their eigenvectors) are orthogonal. This proposition can be proven using spectral decomposition, and further resources for understanding this topic are suggested.
provolus
Hi everybody! I'm studying this paper "Unambiguous discrimination among quantum operations" http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v73/i4/e042301 and they state that

It is well known that a set of
quantum states can be perfectly distinguished if and only if
they are orthogonal to each other.

Ok, it's well known, but then I took a review of the notes to my course of quantum information and i found this not proven proposition:

consider two states \rho_1 and \rho_2 (density operators) of a finite quantum system: if exists a projector \Pi_1 such that trace(\rho_1\Pi_1)=1 and trace(\rho_2\Pi_1)=0 then the two states are disntinguishable with certainty if and only if supp(\rho_1) is orthogonal to supp(\rho_2)

Well, I'm not able to arrange a sounded proof of this simple proposition: i guess i have to choose a base and decompose spectrally the operator but I'm not able to go on. could someone be so kind to show me how to do or at least to suggest me a book or a paper where i could find a proof?

Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and questions on this paper. It's great to see that you are actively engaging with the material and trying to understand it more deeply.

First of all, I want to clarify that the statement in the paper "Unambiguous discrimination among quantum operations" is referring specifically to quantum operations, not just quantum states. In other words, the paper is discussing the ability to distinguish between different operations that can be applied to a quantum system, rather than just distinguishing between different states.

With that being said, your proposition is correct and can be proven using spectral decomposition. Here's a brief outline of the proof:

1. Assume that there exists a projector Pi_1 such that trace(rho_1 * Pi_1) = 1 and trace(rho_2 * Pi_1) = 0.

2. Using spectral decomposition, we can write rho_1 = sum_i p_i * |psi_i><psi_i| and rho_2 = sum_i q_i * |phi_i><phi_i|, where p_i and q_i are the eigenvalues of rho_1 and rho_2, respectively, and |psi_i> and |phi_i> are the corresponding eigenvectors.

3. Since trace(rho_1 * Pi_1) = 1, we know that Pi_1 must have at least one eigenvector |psi_j> with eigenvalue 1, and similarly, for trace(rho_2 * Pi_1) = 0, Pi_1 must have at least one eigenvector |phi_k> with eigenvalue 0.

4. Now, if supp(rho_1) is not orthogonal to supp(rho_2), then there must exist an eigenvector |psi_j> of Pi_1 that is also an eigenvector of rho_2 with eigenvalue q_k > 0. This implies that trace(rho_2 * Pi_1) > 0, which contradicts our initial assumption that trace(rho_2 * Pi_1) = 0.

5. Therefore, we can conclude that if supp(rho_1) is not orthogonal to supp(rho_2), then there does not exist a projector Pi_1 that satisfies the conditions in the proposition.

I hope this helps to clarify the proof for you. If you would like to explore this topic further, I would suggest looking into the book "Quantum

1. What is the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states?

The Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states states that if a quantum system is measured in a basis of mutually orthogonal states, the measurement will always yield a definite result with a probability of 100%.

2. How does the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states work?

The theorem works by using the concept of orthogonal basis states, which are states that are completely distinguishable from each other. When a quantum system is measured in this basis, the measurement will always result in one of the basis states with a probability of 100%.

3. What are the implications of the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states?

The theorem has important implications for quantum mechanics, as it allows for the accurate measurement of quantum systems. It also helps to explain the concept of superposition, where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously until measured.

4. Can the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the theorem can be applied to all quantum systems as long as they are measured in a basis of mutually orthogonal states. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

5. How does the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states relate to the uncertainty principle?

The theorem and the uncertainty principle are closely related. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. However, the Theorem on projective measurement and 100% distinguishable states allows for the measurement of a quantum system with a probability of 100%, providing a certain result despite the uncertainty principle.