Charge distributions & delta functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the charge distribution, rho, on a 2-sphere of radius R with charge Q. It is stated that rho is zero everywhere except on the surface of the sphere, where it is infinite. This can be interpreted as total charge Q distributed on an infinitesimally thin spherical metal sheet. Although in reality, there is a skin depth to the current of a few nanometers, for the purpose of using calculus, it is convenient to consider the sheet as infinitesimally thin.
homology
Okay so say we have charge Q on a 2-sphere of radius R then the charge distribution will be rho=(Q/2piR^2)delta(r-R), which gives Q when integrated over space.

1) So my question is, what does this say about rho? To me, it says that rho is zero everywhere except on the surface of the sphere where it is infinite.

P.S. yes I know the delta function is really a distribution. What I'm asking for is a Physicist's interpretation of the charge density.

Thanks,

kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
To me, it says that rho is zero everywhere except on the surface of the sphere where it is infinite.
you are right.. you can imagine there are total charge Q distribute on an infinite thin spherical metal sheet.. since the metal sheet is so thin, pho=Q/V goes to infinite on the surface of sphere

Physically, there is a skin depth to the current of a few nanometers in a good conductor. But for things like surface integrals it is convenient to regard it as infinitesimally thin so that we can use the calculus.

Sometimes you just have to step outside the math (lthe way we all know there is no ifinite force do to a charged point particle just because of 1/r^2).

1. What is a charge distribution?

A charge distribution is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the distribution of electric charge within a given region of space. It can be represented as a continuous function, with the value of the function at any point representing the amount of charge at that point.

2. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is zero everywhere except at one specific point, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics to represent point charges or point masses, as well as to describe certain physical phenomena such as impulse forces or particle interactions.

3. How are charge distributions and delta functions related?

In the context of electric charge, delta functions are often used to represent point charges in a charge distribution. The integral of a delta function over a region of space gives the total charge within that region, allowing for the calculation of electric fields and other properties of the charge distribution.

4. Can delta functions be used to model real-world phenomena?

While delta functions are often used in theoretical physics to simplify calculations, they are not physical entities and cannot exist in the real world. However, they can be used to approximate real-world phenomena, such as modeling a charged particle as a point charge in a charge distribution.

5. What is the significance of delta functions in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, delta functions are used to describe the probability amplitude of a particle being in a specific location or having a specific momentum. They are also used in the mathematical formalism of quantum mechanics, such as in the Dirac notation for describing quantum states.