Calculate the Dead Load on a Simply Supported Beam

• Thread starter John78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Load
In summary, the question is asking for the calculation of dead load that can be safely supported by a beam with a solid square cross section of 100mm and two supports 3m apart. The equation used is dead load = volume * weight of material. The attempt at a solution involves calculating the volume of the beam, assuming a beam of 100mm characteristic, and then using the volume to calculate the dead load using the weight of the material, which is given as 24 KN/m3. However, there is some confusion as to whether this calculation is correct as it does not take into account the type of material the beam is made of.
John78

Homework Statement

A beam has a solid square cross section of 100mm and is simply supported by two supports 3m apart. Calculate the dead load that can be safely supported when applied to the middle of the beam.

Homework Equations

Dead Load= volume * weight of material

The Attempt at a Solution

A=100*100=10000 mm2=0,001m2

V=0,001*3=0,003 m3

Dead Load = 0,003 m3*24 KN/m3=0,072*1000= 72 N ?

Am I right with my calculations?? Many thanks:P

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know anything about strength of materials, but I'm puzzled by your having made a calculation based on the characteristic "a beam".

Wouldn't you get a different result if the beam were made of styrofoam than you would when it was made of steel?

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you are trying to do

1. What is the definition of "dead load" in regards to a simply supported beam?

Dead load refers to the weight of the structure and any permanent fixtures or materials on the beam, such as walls, floors, and roofing. This load remains constant and does not change over time.

2. How do you calculate the dead load on a simply supported beam?

The dead load on a simply supported beam can be calculated by multiplying the weight per unit area of each permanent fixture or material on the beam by its respective length or surface area. The sum of these values will give the total dead load on the beam.

3. What are some common units for dead load calculation?

The weight per unit area can be measured in pounds per square foot (psf) or kilonewtons per square meter (kN/m^2). The length or surface area can be measured in feet (ft) or meters (m).

4. Are there any safety factors to consider when calculating dead load on a simply supported beam?

Yes, it is important to include a safety factor in dead load calculations to account for any potential variations or uncertainties in the actual weight of the structure and fixtures. A commonly used safety factor for dead load is 1.2.

5. How does the dead load affect the design of a simply supported beam?

The dead load is an important factor in the design of a simply supported beam as it determines the maximum load the beam can support without experiencing excessive deflection or failure. It is essential to accurately calculate the dead load in order to ensure the structural integrity of the beam.