The Sun, on average, is 93 million miles from Earth. How many meters is this?

In summary, the Sun is approximately 93 million miles away from Earth. This is equivalent to 149,669,000 meters or 1.5 x 10^8 meters with two significant figures. It is important to carefully follow instructions when converting units to avoid errors. Google can be a helpful tool for unit conversions, but be aware of any potential ambiguities.
Potential123
The Sun, on average, is 93 million miles from Earth. How many meters is this? Express using powers of ten. Express your answer using two significant figures.

Okay so: Okay so, 1 Meter = 1609.344 x 93 = 149668.992
1.5 x 10^5 (2 significant figures)

When I put 1.5x10^5 in, it says 'The correct answer does not depend on the variable: x10'

WHAT GIVES?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is wrong anyway. I'm not sure the format whatever program you're using takes.

The trick to converting units is to multiply by one.
For example, say you need to convert 3 feet to inches. You write 3 feet and multiply it by one, expressed to cancel the feet and leave inches. Since 1 foot = 12 inches, the expression 12 inches/1 foot is equal to 1.
3 feet = 3 feet x 12 inches/(1 foot) = 36 inches

In your problem you need to multiply by 1 = 1.6 km/(1 mile) = 1600 m/(1 mile).
You'll have to look up the number of km in a mile - 1.6 is only an estimate.

Last edited:
I'm using MasteringPhysics.com. I'm totally confused now from what the dude above me said.

Guys I'm still having trouble. Can someone thoroughly explain this to me?

Potential123 said:
Okay so: Okay so, 1 Meter = 1609.344 x 93 = 149668.992
1.5 x 10^5 (2 significant figures)
That's 93 miles expressed in meters. The question is asking for 93 million miles.

When I put 1.5x10^5 in, it says 'The correct answer does not depend on the variable: x10'
Just guessing, but try inputting numbers in 'e' format such as 1.5e5 (which is incorrect; see above) rather than 1.5x10^5.

You should have received some instructions on how to use whatever system you are using. Read those instructions.

For info.. Google can sometimes help with conversions...

You just type in "convert X to Y " without the quotes... Examples..

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...pw.r_qf.&fp=e2aed7b0584e5d53&biw=1060&bih=646

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&scli...pw.r_qf.&fp=e2aed7b0584e5d53&biw=1060&bih=646

Beware...

The question asks "Express using powers of ten. Express your answer using two significant figures."

Some units are ambiguous (for example US an UK gallons are different sizes) so google with care.

1. What is the distance between the Sun and Earth in meters?

The average distance between the Sun and Earth is approximately 149.6 million kilometers or 93 million miles. This is equivalent to about 149.6 billion meters.

2. How was the distance between the Sun and Earth calculated?

The distance between the Sun and Earth was first calculated by the Greek astronomer Aristarchus in the 3rd century BC using basic geometry and observations of lunar eclipses. Over time, more accurate methods such as radar and spacecraft measurements have been used to refine the calculation.

3. What unit of measurement is typically used to describe the distance between the Sun and Earth?

The distance between the Sun and Earth is most commonly measured in astronomical units (AU). One AU is defined as the average distance between the Sun and Earth, which is approximately 149.6 million kilometers or 93 million miles.

4. How long does it take for light to travel from the Sun to Earth?

Since light travels at a speed of about 299,792 kilometers per second, it takes approximately 8 minutes and 20 seconds for light to travel from the Sun to Earth. This means that the light we see from the Sun is actually 8 minutes and 20 seconds old.

5. Does the distance between the Sun and Earth change?

Yes, the distance between the Sun and Earth is not constant. The Earth's orbit around the Sun is elliptical, meaning that the distance between the two varies throughout the year. The closest point in Earth's orbit to the Sun is called perihelion, while the farthest point is called aphelion.