Three terminal high voltage zener diode

In summary, the questioner is looking for a three terminal zener based shunt regulator IC that can handle at least 125V. If anyone knows where to find one, they are asked to post the url. After doing a search using the provided specifications, the electronic component super-suppliers www.digikey.com www.mouser.com and www.globalspec.com were all unsuccessful. If the input is 85 volts, a 1N3305-ssi.pdf zener based shunt regulator IC can handle the output at 125 volts. However, because the output is greater than the input voltage, the regulator will create heat and require suitable heatsinking.
abstraktkid
Good day all,

I am looking for a three terminal (zener based) shunt regulator IC that can handle at least 125V. If anyone knows where I can find it please post the url so that i can check the specs.

Thank you

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a new rule at Physics Forums that says questioners must not provide enough information to answer the question?

125 volts what?

It is perfectly possible to set up a conventional regulator to float at a suitable voltage but the details depend on information not provided such as the input and required output voltage and current levels.

Have you checked the standard electronic components super-suppliers? They have advanced search capabilities that allow you to filter by component requirements like the ones you've listed.

www.digikey.com
www.mouser.com
www.globalspec.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The output must be 125V DC sir. Current I am looking for around 160 miliamps DC

So what is the input (or supply?)

the input is 85V DC however i need the zener regulator to be able to output/handle apporx 125V DC (minimum)

How about one of these?

http://www.solidstateinc.com/specsearch/specs/1N3305-ssi.pdf

Edit- by the way I found those by doing a 10 second Google search and finding a link to Newark...

abstraktkid said:
Good day all,

I am looking for a three terminal (zener based) shunt regulator IC that can handle at least 125V. If anyone knows where I can find it please post the url so that i can check the specs.

Thank you

abstraktkid said:
The output must be 125V DC sir. Current I am looking for around 160 miliamps DC

abstraktkid said:
the input is 85V DC however i need the zener regulator to be able to output/handle apporx 125V DC (minimum)

I'm with Studiot on this one -- not understanding what you are asking. You have an 85V input and want a 125V output by using a shunt regulator? Could you please be much more clear about the application and the specifications?

thank you all for your input. Mech_Engineer thank you for the search i searched every site you posted and could not find. I have done a google search also and still not found that website. I am sure it will help me out i will keep you posted. I am trying to be as specific as possible. I am an engineering student learning so guys please bare with me. Any other suggestions anyone please do not hesitate to comment I will respond with updates periodically.

God bless

abstraktkid said:
thank you all for your input. Mech_Engineer thank you for the search i searched every site you posted and could not find. I have done a google search also and still not found that website. I am sure it will help me out i will keep you posted. I am trying to be as specific as possible. I am an engineering student learning so guys please bare with me. Any other suggestions anyone please do not hesitate to comment I will respond with updates periodically.

God bless

Could you please answer my question? 85V in and 125V out with a shunt regulator?

(Shunt regulators only work for dropping the input voltage. Vout cannot be higher than Vin with a shunt regulator...)

If you have 85 volts DC that sounds rather like th old 90 volt vidor battery.

Do you want to generate 125 volts DC from this supply?

Whatever you actually want to do, 50 milliamps (you want 160 milliamp capability) is more than enough to kill a human and 125 volts enough to drive it through vulnerable parts of the body.

So be very careful.

I had worked out a scheme based on a cheap standard 24 volt regulator floating on a zener like Mech_Engineer offered (that one would be fine). I anticipated something like a 140 to 150 volt supply. You would need to provide about 100milliamps to the zener plus the 160milliamps you asked for leading to a zener dissipation of 25 watts so the 1N3340 offered would give a good safety margin.
Because this is a pretty inefficient way to do things and large voltages are involved a geat deal of unecessary heat would be generated and all the components need suitable heatsinking.

By the way I am sorry my first reply was a bit short but yours was the fifth post today I responded to that lacked most of the necessary information.

1. What is a three terminal high voltage zener diode?

A three terminal high voltage zener diode is an electronic component that is designed to regulate and maintain a constant voltage level in a circuit, even when the input voltage changes. It has three terminals - an anode, a cathode, and a zener diode region - and is commonly used in high voltage applications.

2. How does a three terminal high voltage zener diode work?

A three terminal high voltage zener diode works by using the zener diode region to maintain a constant voltage level. When the voltage across the diode reaches its breakdown voltage, the zener diode region allows current to flow in the reverse direction, effectively regulating the voltage in the circuit.

3. What are the main applications of a three terminal high voltage zener diode?

Three terminal high voltage zener diodes are commonly used in power supplies, voltage regulators, and protection circuits. They are also used in electronic devices that require a stable and constant voltage, such as in televisions, computers, and medical equipment.

4. What is the maximum voltage that a three terminal high voltage zener diode can handle?

The maximum voltage that a three terminal high voltage zener diode can handle depends on the specific diode and its breakdown voltage. However, these diodes are designed to handle high voltages, typically ranging from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts.

5. What are the advantages of using a three terminal high voltage zener diode?

Some advantages of using a three terminal high voltage zener diode include its ability to regulate and maintain a constant voltage, its high voltage handling capabilities, and its compact size. It also has a fast response time and low noise, making it suitable for use in sensitive electronic circuits.