Transformer Core: Questions About Lamination & Soldering

In summary: If the voltage is high (120 hertz and a large transformer) then the current through the inside laminations is high and the loss is high.
jorjijon
hello
i have a question about the transformer core.when we make it's core,we usually make it laminated to reduce eddy currents.but i saw that there is a soldeing in the corner of the transformer core.why we do this ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never seen such solder in the corner of the transformer core. Do you have pictures?

jorjijon said:
hello
i have a question about the transformer core.when we make it's core,we usually make it laminated to reduce eddy currents.but i saw that there is a soldeing in the corner of the transformer core.why we do this ?

It's a weld, not soldering. It's there to keep the laminations from vibrating or otherwise working loose.

Antiphon said:
It's a weld, not soldering. It's there to keep the laminations from vibrating or otherwise working loose.
Thank you very much.but still i have a question.by doing this way,don't we ruin our works to decrease eddy currents in the core??

All 4 corner edges are welded?

NascentOxygen said:
All 4 corner edges are welded?

yes.but doesn't it increase eddy currents(core losses) in the transformer?

Would it surprise you if I said that you can electrically connect all of the laminations together and it won't (necessarily) increase eddy current loss?

The key feature of the laminations is that hey should allow no transverse conductive loop to encloses a significant amount of the flux. It is possible to apply a shallow weld in the corners without violating this feature.

Assuming that the core is E & I laminations and the weld is only on the outside.
The weld acts like a half turn of a conductor. The half turn puts a voltage across the inside of the laminations. If the volltage is low (60 hertz and a small transformer) then the current through the inside laminations is low and the loss is low.

1. What materials are commonly used to make transformer cores?

Transformer cores are typically made of laminated sheets of electrical steel, also known as silicon steel. This material is chosen for its high magnetic permeability and low electrical resistance.

2. Why are transformer cores laminated?

Lamination of transformer cores helps to reduce energy losses due to eddy currents, which are induced currents that flow in a circular pattern within the core. By laminating the core, the individual sheets are insulated from each other, reducing the flow of eddy currents and improving the efficiency of the transformer.

3. How are transformer cores soldered?

Transformer cores can be soldered together using a variety of methods, including spot welding, laser welding, or soldering with a conductive adhesive. The specific method used depends on the design of the transformer and the requirements of the application.

4. What is the purpose of soldering transformer cores?

Soldering transformer cores is necessary to ensure that the individual sheets are securely bonded together and to provide a low resistance path for the flow of magnetic flux. This helps to improve the efficiency and performance of the transformer.

5. How do I determine the appropriate lamination thickness for a transformer core?

The appropriate lamination thickness for a transformer core depends on various factors such as the size and power rating of the transformer, the frequency of operation, and the desired efficiency. This calculation is typically performed using specialized software or by consulting with a transformer design expert.