How to overcome my obsession ?

• Thread starter medwatt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation advises the individual to seek professional help for their obsessive behavior, which is causing them to isolate themselves and neglect other aspects of their life. It is suggested that setting designated times for their independent studies and seeking a 12-step program for internet addiction may also be helpful. Ultimately, seeking treatment is encouraged in order to live a fulfilling life.
medwatt
Hello,
I'm not going to bore you with my history but I am really obsessed with learning that I'm getting myself more and more isolated from the real world. Now here is what is making me concerned; I am already an electrical engineer (BENG only). For some unapparent reason I seem to interested in everything from literature, History, Geography etc subjects unrelated to my own field. To make matters worse whenever I hear something interesting I become so infatuated with the subject until I learn it. Examples are Fluid Mechanics which is not part of an electrical engineer's curriculum, Particle Physics (just introduction), Real Analysis etc etc. Now this might be a good thing but I cannot control myself any longer. Even now sitting with friends, family seems to me to be a waste of time. Something in my head will be saying why not go read this or that instead of partaking in this irrelevant matter. I've been isolating myself ever since and of course self-studying comes with its own frustrations. I am sometimes so lost in my own world that I'm been accused of being absent-minded. I know that soon enough I am planning an assault on quantum mechanics all by myself which I believe is not the easiest of topics which has no apparent relevance to me. I really hope someone can provide me with an advice on limit my obsession.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Seek professional help. Obsessive behavior is not something you get fixed by asking people on the internet about it.

Even though it's probably one of the better obsessions, since you can't control it and it has started interferring with your life, you should seek professional help. Many members have OCD and medication has helped them live a more normal life.

These days there's twelve step programs for most disorders.

I just googled "twelve step program for internet addicts" and got plenty of hits.

I'd look one up.

medwatt said:
Hello,
I'm not going to bore you with my history but I am really obsessed with learning that I'm getting myself more and more isolated from the real world. Now here is what is making me concerned; I am already an electrical engineer (BENG only). For some unapparent reason I seem to interested in everything from literature, History, Geography etc subjects unrelated to my own field. To make matters worse whenever I hear something interesting I become so infatuated with the subject until I learn it. Examples are Fluid Mechanics which is not part of an electrical engineer's curriculum, Particle Physics (just introduction), Real Analysis etc etc. Now this might be a good thing but I cannot control myself any longer. Even now sitting with friends, family seems to me to be a waste of time. Something in my head will be saying why not go read this or that instead of partaking in this irrelevant matter. I've been isolating myself ever since and of course self-studying comes with its own frustrations. I am sometimes so lost in my own world that I'm been accused of being absent-minded. I know that soon enough I am planning an assault on quantum mechanics all by myself which I believe is not the easiest of topics which has no apparent relevance to me. I really hope someone can provide me with an advice on limit my obsession.
Thanks

Join the club, bro, the weather's great in here!:tongue:

As the others have noted, I think you should seek professional help just to say you did it, and who knows, maybe something will come of it. But in my experience, which is similar to yours, it didn't help much. The reason is that you like what you like. If you like science and learning and that's what turns you on, no amount of counceling short of a lobotomy is going to make you like tea parties with the relatives more than you already do.

That said, social isolation has its deleterious effects on your psyche, unfortunately, or I'd be buried in a book all day. You've heard it before, its all about moderation. I've found what helps me the most is to set certian hours of the day to do my independent study and theoretical cogitating, surfing PF is also included under this rubrik. Other responsibilities in life, including job related academic activities go under another rubrik with their own time slot. The trap to watch out for is to NOT include your "fun-science" time in with your "work-science" time. Your fun science time should be classified in the same way playing video games or golf, or something like that. Classifying otherwise can get you into trouble because then you really can overdo it, thinking that the productivity aspect of it compensates for the anti-social aspect of it, which is doesn't.

Evo said:
Even though it's probably one of the better obsessions, since you can't control it and it has started interferring with your life, you should seek professional help. Many members have OCD and medication has helped them live a more normal life.

You mean CDO...I put the letters in alphabetical order, *as they should be*.

To the OP: in all seriousness, despite my silliness: obsessions/disorders/compulsions are not a laughing matter. These issues can waste years of your life! The effort to seek out and get treatment will be worth it.

Don't try to 'tough this out' by yourself. Time's a-wasting, you need to get this taken care of so you can live a full life! Please seek professional help. Best of luck to you!

1. How do I know if I have an obsession?

If you constantly think about a certain person, object, or activity and it interferes with your daily life, you may have an obsession. Other signs include having difficulty controlling your thoughts and actions related to the obsession, feeling distressed or anxious when you cannot engage in the obsession, and neglecting other important areas of your life because of the obsession.

2. What are some strategies for overcoming an obsession?

Some strategies for overcoming an obsession include identifying the source of the obsession, finding healthier ways to cope with stress and negative emotions, setting boundaries and limits for yourself, and seeking professional help if needed. It is also important to practice self-care and engage in activities that bring you joy and fulfillment.

3. Can an obsession be harmful?

While some obsessions may seem harmless, they can still have negative impacts on your mental and emotional well-being. Obsessions can also lead to unhealthy behaviors and relationships, and can prevent you from fully participating in and enjoying life. It is important to address and overcome obsessions in order to live a balanced and fulfilling life.

4. How long does it take to overcome an obsession?

The time it takes to overcome an obsession varies for each individual and depends on the severity of the obsession. It is important to be patient with yourself and to seek support from loved ones and professionals. Consistently practicing healthy coping strategies and addressing the root causes of the obsession can help in the process of overcoming it.

5. Is it possible to completely eliminate an obsession?

While it may be difficult to completely eliminate an obsession, it is possible to manage it in a healthy way. With the right strategies and support, you can learn to control your thoughts and behaviors related to the obsession and live a fulfilling life. It is important to remember that overcoming an obsession is a journey and progress may not be linear.