Total Electric Charge: Is Our Universe's Zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the total electric charge of Our Universe being zero and the imbalance of matter and antimatter. The validity of conservation of charge in all reactions and the initial conditions of the universe are mentioned as factors that could potentially provide an answer, but the second factor is likely not testable.
Fe-56
Do you think the total electric charge of Our Universe is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fe-56 said:
Do you think the total electric charge of Our Universe is zero?
i'd rather ask: "why do you think that it is (non-)zero?"

Because no confirmed theory can prove or disprove yes or no answer to this question.
Also, why is there more matter then antimatter in Our Universe?

Fe-56 said:
Because no confirmed theory can prove or disprove yes or no answer to this question.

huh! i hope that the poll results here and now, on physicsforums, will finally give the answer to this question!

I have also voted yes :)

This depends on two things, I guess:

1) The validity of conservation of charge in all reactions.
2) The initial conditions of the universe.

The first is testable, but the second probably isn't, so I don't think I can even guess.

1. What is total electric charge?

Total electric charge is the measure of the amount of electric charge present in a given system. It is a fundamental property of matter and is responsible for the interactions between particles in the universe.

2. Is the total electric charge of our universe zero?

Yes, the total electric charge of our universe is considered to be zero. This is because for every positively charged particle, there is an equal and opposite negatively charged particle, resulting in a net charge of zero.

3. How is the total electric charge of the universe determined?

The total electric charge of the universe is determined by measuring the electric charges of all particles in the universe and adding them together. This is a complex process and requires advanced technology and techniques.

4. Can the total electric charge of the universe change?

Based on current scientific understanding, the total electric charge of the universe cannot change. This is because the principle of conservation of charge states that the total electric charge of an isolated system remains constant.

5. What is the significance of the total electric charge of the universe being zero?

The fact that the total electric charge of the universe is zero has significant implications for the behavior and interactions of particles in the universe. It helps to explain the stability of matter and the balance between attractive and repulsive forces in the universe.