Improve Math Organization with Tips for Shaky Hands | Expert Guidance and Advice

• Thread starter Gustafo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's struggle with having an unsteady hand and how it affects their math work. They express a desire to know if there is a universal way to show work for math problems and if anyone else has dealt with this issue. The individual also mentions their age and grade level and how this was never taught in school. They hope to find a solution before going to college and mention the idea of rewriting their work after solving it or using a math typesetting program called Latex. A link to an introduction to Latex is also provided.
Gustafo
Most my life I have had a very unsteady hand. As a result have used that as an excuse to do very messy and unorganized work. I have gotten away with it, but now in Calc 2 it would be really nice if I could go back over my work and actually know what it was that I was doing. I would like to know if there is a universal way to show the work for a math problem and what that is; I would also like to know if anybody else has had this problem and if anyone has any advice they can offer me.

I feel like it important to note that I will always have an unsteady hand. I suffered a very serious break to my wrist when I was younger and my writing has really suffered.

I am not sure if it important but I am only 16 and a junior in high school. This was never something the public education system ever taught.

I really want this problem fixed before I go off to college so I can be a better student, and so I don't have to be embarrassed to show others my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not rewrite it once you solved it? That's what I did in graduate school - worked the problem out on scratch paper and transferred it to looseleaf afterwards.

1. How can I effectively organize my math problems?

The key to organizing math problems is to have a systematic approach. Start by creating a designated space for solving and storing math problems. Then, categorize your problems based on the type of math (algebra, geometry, calculus, etc.) or difficulty level. You can also use color-coding or labels to make it easier to identify and access specific problems. Lastly, make sure to regularly clean and update your organized math problems to maintain efficiency.

2. What are some tips for staying organized while solving math problems?

One helpful tip is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. This will not only make the problem-solving process easier but also ensure that you don't miss any important details. Additionally, keep a notebook or folder specifically for math problems and always write down your work and solutions in a neat and organized manner. This will allow for easier reference and review in the future.

3. Can technology be used to help organize math problems?

Yes, there are many tools and apps available that can assist with organizing math problems. Some examples include online problem-solving platforms, digital note-taking and organizational apps, and even graphing calculators with storage capabilities. These can be especially useful for students or individuals who prefer a more digital approach to organization.

4. How often should I review and update my organized math problems?

It is recommended to review and update your organized math problems regularly, at least once a week. This will help you stay on top of any new concepts or formulas and ensure that your organized problems are always up-to-date. Additionally, it's a good idea to review your organized problems before exams or quizzes to refresh your memory and practice problem-solving skills.

5. What are the benefits of having an organized system for math problems?

An organized system for math problems can greatly improve efficiency and productivity. It allows for easy access to specific types or levels of problems, which can save time and reduce frustration. Additionally, an organized system can help with studying and reviewing for exams, as well as tracking progress and identifying areas for improvement. It also promotes good study habits and organization skills, which can be beneficial in other areas of life as well.