Changing Major from Business/Accounting to Physics?

In summary, a community college student is considering changing her major from Business Admin/Accounting to Physics (specifically astrophysics) and is wondering if it is worth it. She has a passion for science and math, and is interested in pursuing a Masters and beyond. She is also considering if there are any business degrees that align with a science field. Advice is given to take a calculus-based physics class to gauge interest before making a decision.
blubird86
Hi,

I am a current community college student (FEMALE) who is about to get an AST degree in Business Admin/Accounting in May. I feel like I really want to change my major now, and feel that I have waned my interest in the Accounting/Business field in general. I recently have just started to think about majoring in physics (astrophysics in general). I don't feel like I've wasted my time, but feel like I could use the extra two years at my current community college to get my undergraduate transfer requirements in the major I am now interested in. I love science and physics in general. I keep up with all the news and try my best to self study on the topics, especially the math part (Calc, Linear Algebra, Diff Equations, etc). I would ideally like to achieve a Masters and eventually go further.

I want to know if it is worth it, or should I continue to go with Accounting (I don't hate it, but it really doesn't sound as exciting in the long run.)

Or...what are some business degrees that coincide with some sort of science field that I could get if I do major in business and/or physics??)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could become a quant, that's popular among physicists who move into business/finance.

Take calculus 1 and then a calculus based physics class after that to see how well you really like the subject. Don't outright change your major yet, though.

1. Can I change my major from Business/Accounting to Physics?

Yes, it is possible to change your major from Business/Accounting to Physics. However, the process may vary depending on the specific policies and requirements of your university or college. It is important to speak with your academic advisor to understand the steps and implications of changing your major.

2. Will I have to start over if I change my major from Business/Accounting to Physics?

Not necessarily. Many universities have general education requirements that are common across different majors. This means that you may have already completed some of the required courses for a Physics major. Additionally, some business courses may count towards elective credits for a Physics major. It is important to review your coursework with your academic advisor to determine how your previous credits will apply to your new major.

3. Will changing my major from Business/Accounting to Physics delay my graduation?

It depends on several factors such as the number of credits you have completed, the number of credits required for the Physics major, and the availability of courses. If you have completed a significant portion of your general education requirements and have taken some courses that count towards the Physics major, it is possible to graduate on time. However, if you have not completed many of the required courses, it may take longer to graduate.

4. Can I still pursue a career in business/finance with a degree in Physics?

Yes, you can still pursue a career in business/finance with a degree in Physics. Many employers value the problem-solving and analytical skills gained from a physics degree. Additionally, you can specialize in fields such as financial engineering, quantitative finance, or data analysis which require a strong background in physics.

5. How can I make the transition from Business/Accounting to Physics smoother?

To make the transition smoother, it is important to communicate with your academic advisor and the Physics department at your university. They can provide guidance on course selection and help you create a plan to complete your degree requirements. Additionally, you can seek out internships, research opportunities, or extracurricular activities related to physics to gain practical experience and enhance your resume.