Advice on what to do after my masters

• Thread starter lol_nl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Masters
In summary, the individual is currently studying theoretical physics in Cambridge but is unsure of what to do next and has not received any PhD offers. They have completed a bachelor's degree in mathematics and physics elsewhere and have taken courses in QFT, advanced QFT, GR, Symmetries, Field and Particles, and string theory. They are hesitant about pursuing a PhD in high energy physics due to the competitiveness and culture, and have become less interested in string theory. They also feel unprepared for the job market and are considering studying for a few more years. Ultimately, their goal is to do research and teach at a university, but they are unsure if their current program is the best preparation for this. They are seeking advice on what
lol_nl
I am doing Part III of the Mathematical Tripos in Cambridge and am focussing mostly on theoretical physics. The trouble is that I have no idea what to do next and so far do not have any PhD offers.

Before this I completed a bachelor's degree in mathematics and physics elsewhere in Europe. In Cambridge I took a courses such as QFT, advanced QFT, GR, Symmetries, Field and Particles (mostly group theory), Standard model, string theory, but also tried following Differential Geometry, Symplectic topology and even algebraic topology. I am also doing an essay on massive gravitons.

Although Cambridge is an amazing place to study and some lectures have introduced me to very exciting ideas, I feel unsure about what to do next and even feel unsure about starting a PhD for a few reasons.

I am hesitant about doing research in high energy physics. I focussed a lot on getting the necessary background for doing HEP and think I will have sufficient theoretical knowledge to get started on a PhD after this year. However, I have also gotten the impression that the field is overly ambitious and competitive, and I did not like always like the 'culture' among HEP students and staff. I have also become less excited about string theory and am afraid it might be a waste of time to commit to a PhD on a theory which is so speculative.

Also, I did not enjoy working alone for so much time without getting any feedback. Whereas my undergraduate course was heavy on tutorials, Part III only has example classes in groups without hand-in homework. So far I have no clue how well I am doing and whether I have kept up well enough - there simply aren't any assessments until the final exams!

As for my interests, I think out of the courses I have taken, quantum field theory suits me best, although I find some of the more advanced topics conceptually rather difficult. It was interesting to learn how the standard model is built up using QFT, although I am less interested in techniques such as lattice field theory to study particle interactions in detail. The pure maths courses were also very interesting, but I doubt I would like to do research in geometry-related areas. Generally, I find differential geometry a pain to work with and only because through GR and symplectic topology to a lesser extend am I willing to study it. String theory is interesting but perhaps a bit too speculative for my taste. I think most of applied mathematics suits me quite well, but I know little about other applications of mathematics.

I would consider myself unprepared to start on the job market and ideally would like to study a few more years. I am not in a rush to do a PhD unless it really interests me. However, the difficulty is in finding an interesting programme which will not disappoint after doing Part III.

In the end I think I would like to do research and teach at a university, and in fact I am doubting whether Part III is the best preparation for this. It has certainly effectively taught a good amount of theory in short time, but also feels too rushed and does not offer research opportunities (e.g. a thesis).

I would be grateful to get any advice on what to do next.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reading your description, gives me the impression that you don't like the stress of competition and yet you don't like working alone. You do like theoretical physics but for various reasons don't like the topics you've studied.

My suggestion then is to look into computational physics and see if that would satisfy you as well as get you prepared for the job market knwoing some level of programming. The collaboration is there and the competition may be a lot less with many interesting problems. Also you could look to other areas of physics like biological physics to see what kinds of problems may be of interest like protein folding ...

Another area might be computational origami ala Dr Robert Lang's research. It may be more mundane and less theoretical for your tastes though:

http://www.langorigami.com/science/science.php

and

http://www.langorigami.com/science/sciencelinks.php

1. What are the career options after completing a master's degree?

There are a variety of career options available after completing a master's degree, including working in industry, academia, or government. Some common job titles for individuals with a master's degree include research scientist, data analyst, project manager, and professor.

2. Should I pursue a PhD after completing my master's degree?

This decision ultimately depends on your career goals and personal interests. A PhD can open up opportunities for higher-level positions in academia or research, but it is also a significant time and financial commitment. It's important to carefully consider your options and speak with mentors or advisors before making a decision.

3. How can I make my master's degree stand out to potential employers?

One way to make your master's degree stand out is by gaining hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or other practical applications of your degree. Networking and building relationships with professionals in your field can also help you stand out to potential employers.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific career goal after completing a master's degree?

While having a clear career goal can be helpful, it is not necessary to have one immediately after completing your master's degree. Many individuals use their master's degree as a way to explore different career options and gain more experience before making a decision about their long-term goals.

5. How can I continue my education after completing a master's degree?

There are several options for continuing your education after completing a master's degree, such as pursuing a PhD, enrolling in additional courses or certifications, or attending conferences and workshops to stay updated on new developments in your field. It's important to regularly assess your career goals and determine if further education is necessary to achieve them.