Contacting Professors for PhD in Biomed Eng/Mats Sci w/BioMat Focus

• Thread starter ducky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary: You should also ask what kind of research the professor does. You want to be as specific as possible about your interests, and you want to make sure that the professor is familiar with your research.
ducky
I'm planning on applying to PhD programs in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering with a focus in biomaterials. My undergraduate degree is in Physics with a Mathematics minor, and from what I've been told, the admissions process is different from that of Physics. Some have told me that you really need to build connections before applying to these programs by emailing professors and talking about their research and how you will fit into their group. (Though I don't believe this is the case for all programs, and some frown upon that.)

I don't know what to say when emailing them, though. I've emailed graduate advisors with questions about their department, but when it comes to emailing specific professors, I don't know what to say. I don't have any questions to ask the ones who are doing research in areas that I am interested in. Is it acceptable to tell them my research interests and ask if I would be a good fit for their research group? Is it acceptable to email more than one professor at one school?

I know some programs have certain rules about emailing professors, so obviously I would check that before emailing them.

Physics news on Phys.org
ducky said:
I don't know what to say when emailing them, though.

Then don't email them. Simple politeness dictates that you don't waste their timr.

You don't have any questions for professors about their work in research areas you are interested in? I'd think a bit harder about that.

I read some good advice written by ZapperZ in this thread about contacting professors. ZapperZ's advice was intended for Physics, of course, but it might help in your case too.

5. This last part is a bit dicey, since the situation can either turn out very positive, or very bad. If you feel confident enough in your ability, you may want to contact directly a faculty member of school that you would like to attend. Obviously, this would be a school that is highly competitive. You want to do this in cases where you think a direct communication may enhance your chances - so don’t do this if you think your contact may backfire. The best way to do this is to see if any of the faculty member of your undergraduate institution know of anyone there personally. It is always best to have such recommendation.

As for
ducky said:
I don't know what to say when emailing them, though.

I think this might help:

If you do decide on such contact, tell the person why, your interest, and that you would be interested in working in his/her research group, etc.

Likes 1 person

Dear [Name],

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your interest in our PhD program in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering with a focus in biomaterials. As a scientist myself, I understand the importance of building connections and networking in the academic world.

In regards to your question about emailing professors, it is definitely acceptable to reach out to them and express your interest in their research. In fact, many professors welcome emails from prospective students as it shows their enthusiasm and dedication towards their field. When emailing a professor, it is important to be specific and mention why you are interested in their research and how your background aligns with their work. This could include mentioning specific publications or projects they have worked on, and how your skills and interests could contribute to their research group.

It is also acceptable to email more than one professor at a particular school, as long as you are genuinely interested in their research and can provide a clear explanation as to why you are reaching out to them. However, it is important to keep in mind that some programs may have specific rules or guidelines regarding contacting professors, so it is always a good idea to check with the department or graduate advisor before reaching out.

I wish you all the best in your PhD application process and hope you find a program and research group that aligns with your interests and goals.

Best regards,

1. How do I find a professor to contact for a PhD in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science with a focus on Biomaterials?

To find a professor to contact for a PhD in Biomedical Engineering or Materials Science with a focus on Biomaterials, you can start by researching universities that offer programs in these fields. Look for faculty members who have research interests that align with yours and have a strong publication record in the relevant areas. You can also attend conferences and networking events to meet and connect with potential advisors.

2. What information should I include in my email or letter when contacting a professor for a PhD program?

When contacting a professor for a PhD program, it is important to introduce yourself and mention your research interests and background. Include a brief summary of your academic achievements and relevant experience, as well as any specific questions or ideas you have about their research. Be sure to also attach your CV and any relevant publications or projects.

3. How do I make a good first impression when contacting a professor for a PhD program?

To make a good first impression when contacting a professor for a PhD program, it is important to be professional, polite, and concise in your communication. Make sure to address the professor by their proper title and spell their name correctly. Show genuine interest in their research and avoid generic or impersonal emails. Be sure to proofread your message for any errors before sending it.

4. Should I contact multiple professors for a PhD program or focus on one specific advisor?

It is recommended to contact multiple professors for a PhD program to increase your chances of finding a suitable advisor and program. However, make sure to prioritize and focus on professors whose research aligns with your interests and goals. It is also important to have a backup plan in case your first choice is not available or does not have funding for new students.

5. What should I do if a professor does not respond to my initial contact for a PhD program?

If a professor does not respond to your initial contact for a PhD program, do not take it personally. Professors are often busy and may not have the time to respond to every email they receive. You can send a follow-up email after a reasonable amount of time has passed, or consider reaching out to other potential advisors. It is also helpful to attend conferences or events where you can meet and connect with professors in person.