Solving for Minimum Point of Curve C: x2 + 2x + 4

In summary, the curve C has the equation y=x2 + 2x + 4 and the minimum point of the curve is (-1,3). This can be found by expressing the equation in the form a(x+b)2 + c and using the completing the square method. Graphing or looking into an algebra or precalculus textbook can also help find the minimum point.
discombobulated
I'm a bit stuck on this question:
the curve C has the equation y=x2 + 2x + 4
a) Express x2 +2x + 4 in the form a(x+b)2 + c and hence the coordinates of the minimum point C.
This is what I've done:
x2 +2x +4 = a(x+b)2+c
a(x+b)(x-b) + c = x2+2x+4
a(x2 + xb+ xb +b2) + c = x2+2x+4
ax2 + 2abx + ab2 + c = x2 +2x+4
Therefore: a= 1, 2ab= 2, ab= 1, b= 1, ab2 + c= 4
1+c = 4
c= 3
(x=0) y= 4
y= 1(x+1)2+ 2
..and that's all I've got so far. Please let me know if it's all wrong and how do i go about getting the minimum point from here.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there. Take a look at your final equation ([itex]y= 1(x+1)^2+ 2[/itex]). What value of x will make y the smallest it can possibly be?

Last edited:
I have a small problem with that. If y= (x+1)2+ 2 then
y= x2+ 2x+ 1+ 2= x2+ 2x+ 3 which doesn't appear to be what you started with!

sorry, that would be me unable to read my own scribbled notes! it's meant to be a 3.

Standard (and easier way) of completing the square toget a(x+b)2 + c is

1x2 +2x +4 = 1 (x2 +2 x + 1) + 3 =
(x + 1)2 + 3.

Graphing (especially by hand) would also give a good idea of the minimum.

Looking into an algebra or precalculus textbook would work too.

Last edited:
Since you have:
A2 ≥ 0.
So (x + 1)2 ≥ 0.
Adding 3 to both sides gives:
(x + 1)2 + 3 ≥ 3.
So what's the smallest value y can have, what x makes y smallest?
Viet Dao,

right, so..the minimum point is (-1,3)?

Yes, that's correct. If x=-1, y= 02+ 3= 3. If x is any number other than -1, x+ 1 is not 0 so (x+1)2 is positive and (x+1)2+ 3 is greater than 3.

What is the minimum point of curve C?

The minimum point of curve C is the lowest point on the curve, also known as the vertex. It is the point where the curve changes from decreasing to increasing (or vice versa) and has the smallest y-value.

How do you solve for the minimum point of curve C?

To solve for the minimum point of curve C, we need to find the x-value of the vertex. This can be done by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a is the coefficient of x^2 and b is the coefficient of x in the equation x^2 + 2x + 4. Once we have the x-value, we can substitute it back into the original equation to find the corresponding y-value.

Why is it important to find the minimum point of curve C?

Finding the minimum point of curve C is important because it allows us to determine the lowest point on the curve, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It can also help us identify the optimal solution for certain problems, such as finding the minimum cost or maximum profit.

Can the minimum point of curve C be negative?

Yes, the minimum point of curve C can be negative. This means that the vertex is located below the x-axis and the curve is decreasing. However, if the minimum point is negative, it is often referred to as the maximum point because it has the largest y-value on the curve.

What if there is no minimum point of curve C?

If there is no minimum point of curve C, it means that the curve either continues to decrease without ever changing direction or has no real solutions. This could happen if the coefficient of x^2 is negative and the curve is always decreasing, or if the equation has imaginary solutions.