Calculate Molar Fraction for Freon in a 60 Gal Tank - Step by Step Guide

• Thread starter simonak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
The molar fraction of the freon is 0.21. In summary, "The problem involves a tank containing pure nitrogen and adding freon. The molar fraction of the freon is 0.21 and the volume of the nitrogen is needed to continue the calculations."
simonak
Hi,

here's the problem :

A 60 gal tank contain pure Azote at 36,2 psig and 24,2 °C. We add 908,25 g of freon (CF2Cl2) that evaporate completely. If the temperature of the tank is 8,2 °C :

a) What is the molar fraction of the freon.

I've made some calculation, but it always result that I need the volume of the Azote to continue.

Calculations :
The molar fraction is the (number of mol for the freon) / (total number of mol). I found the number of mol for the freon = 7,51161 mol.

Now I need the total number of mol. So I need the
(number of mol for the freon) + (number of mol for the azote) / (Molar weight of freon) + (Molar weight of azote).

The only thing that is missing is the (number of mol for the azote). And I found 2 ways to find it

1) volumic weight * Volume
2) PV=nRT ===> n = PV/RT ==> M = m/n ==> m = n*M ...

In each case, I don't have the volume of the azote so I cannot continue

Physics news on Phys.org
"Azote" is an archaic name for nitrogen, MW = 28.0.

1. What is a molar fraction?

A molar fraction, also known as mole fraction, is a unitless ratio that expresses the proportion of one component in a mixture of substances. It is calculated by dividing the number of moles of a specific component by the total number of moles in the mixture.

2. Why is molar fraction important?

Molar fraction is important because it helps to determine the composition and properties of a mixture. It is commonly used in chemistry and physics to understand the behavior of gases, solutions, and other mixtures of substances.

3. How is molar fraction different from mass fraction?

Molar fraction is a ratio of moles while mass fraction is a ratio of mass. Molar fraction takes into account the number of molecules of each component, while mass fraction only considers the weight of each component. Additionally, molar fraction is unitless while mass fraction is expressed in units of mass (e.g. grams, kilograms).

4. How do you calculate molar fraction?

To calculate molar fraction, you first need to determine the number of moles of each component in the mixture. Then, divide the number of moles of the specific component by the total number of moles in the mixture. The result is the molar fraction of that component.

5. Can molar fraction be greater than 1?

No, molar fraction cannot be greater than 1. Since it is a ratio, the maximum value for molar fraction is 1. A molar fraction of 1 means that the component makes up 100% of the mixture.