Organic Chemistry Lab: Calculate NaBH4 Needed to Reduce Acetophenone

In summary, to calculate the mass of a 12% NaBH4 aqueous solution needed to reduce 5.00 g of acetophenone, one must first convert the percentage to moles by using the molecular weight of NaBH4. This results in 0.0032 moles of NaBH4 needed. However, in order to complete the calculation, a balanced equation for the reaction between acetophenone and NaBH4 is necessary.
quarkboy
Im taking an organic chemistry lab, must calculate the following:

NaBH4 is normally prepared for use in basic aqueous solution. Calculate the mass of a 12% NaBH4 aqueous solution required theoretically to reduce 5.00 g of acetophenone.

I am can probably have a go at this question if I can get a hint on how to start ? Anyone point me in the right direction, I don't want the solution but a helping hand in working out the right way to do this. Thanks in advance.Edit: 12 moles NaBH4 / 100 mL water ? x 1 mole NaBH4 / 38 g NaBH4 x ... ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that 12% NaBH4, 12% by weight (mass)? Then it would be 12 g NaBH4 in 100 gm of solution. Then one must convert that to moles.

Percent by weight: To make up a solution based on percentage by weight, one would simply determine what percentage was desired (for example, a 20% by weight aqueous solution of sodium chloride) and the total quantity to be prepared.
See - http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/chemistry/MolarityMolalityNormality.html

Another example -
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug97/867968894.Ch.r.html

NaBH4 by mass ...partial solution

Calculated Molecular Weight
MW NaBH4 : 23 + 11 + 4 = 38g

Convert to moles - NaBH4
12g NaBH4 / 100g NaBH4 * 1 mole NaBH4 / 38g = 0.0032 moles NaBH4However, at this point I need to write a balanced equation for the Acetophenone and NaBH4 reactants ? I am not sure if this makes sense so far.

Any hints ?

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate the amount of NaBH4 needed to reduce acetophenone in an organic chemistry lab?

To calculate the amount of NaBH4 needed for the reduction of acetophenone, you will need to use a stoichiometric calculation. This involves determining the molar ratio between NaBH4 and acetophenone, and then using the molar mass of each compound to convert to the desired units (usually grams or milligrams).

2. What is the molar ratio between NaBH4 and acetophenone in this reduction reaction?

The molar ratio between NaBH4 and acetophenone in this reduction reaction is 1:1. This means that for every 1 mole of acetophenone, you will need 1 mole of NaBH4 for a complete reduction.

3. Can I use any amount of acetophenone in this reduction reaction?

Yes, you can use any amount of acetophenone in this reduction reaction as long as you maintain the 1:1 molar ratio with NaBH4. However, it is recommended to use a smaller amount (around 0.1-0.5 moles) for easier handling and to avoid excess waste.

4. What are the safety precautions for handling NaBH4 in the lab?

NaBH4 is a highly reactive and flammable compound, so it is important to handle it with caution. Wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, and work in a well-ventilated area. In case of contact with skin or eyes, rinse with plenty of water. Keep away from sources of heat or fire.

5. Can I use a different reducing agent instead of NaBH4 in this reaction?

Yes, there are other reducing agents that can be used instead of NaBH4, such as lithium aluminum hydride (LiAlH4) or sodium borohydride (NaBH4). However, the molar ratios and reaction conditions may differ, so it is important to consult a reliable source or the lab manual before making any substitutions.