Calculating a calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of a calibration factor to convert velocity measurements from volts to m/s. The equation v=x'=awcos(wt) is used, but the speaker is having trouble finding a constant calibration factor due to changes in time. Another speaker suggests using the equation x * (w/tan(wt)) = awcos(wt) = v to generate a dataset of velocities in m/s and then finding the calibration factor using CF = (Dataset B)/(Dataset A). However, this method does not produce the expected results. The original speaker solves the problem by using equation 8, which simplifies to aω/V_max, to calculate the calibration factor. This factor can then be used to convert velocity measurements
CaspianTiger

Homework Statement

Hi, i have to calculate a calibration factor to change a measurement for velocity in volts from a vibration test rig into a measurement of velocity in m/s.

Homework Equations

I have data for velocity in volts and i am using the equation v=x'=awcos(wt) to calculate the velocity in m/s... however I can't find a CF for these two values...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried some simple ideas... like the difference between them, however this is not constant over time. I tried the ratio between them but again this is not constant as the time changes. I tried both of these multiplied and divided by time...

Has anyone got any ideas or is there a general concept for calculating a calibration factor i have overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I am given a dataset (A) of velocities in volts. I also have a dataset of displacements at time intervals of 1ms over a time period of 2s, giving 2000 readings.

Since:
x=asin(wt)
v=x'=awcos(wt)

I thought that I could use the fact that

x * (w/tan(wt)) = awcos(wt) = v

to generate a dataset (B) of velocities in m/s, then I should be able to find the calibration factor, CF using:

CF = (Dataset B)/(Dataset A)

HOWEVER, when I plot the velocities in m/s against time in s, the graph I get is a tan wave, but it should be a sin wave. This is extremely frustrating! Someone please help!

rdt24 said:
I have EXACTLY the same problem. I am given a dataset (A) of velocities in volts. I also have a dataset of displacements at time intervals of 1ms over a time period of 2s, giving 2000 readings.

Since:
x=asin(wt)
v=x'=awcos(wt)

I thought that I could use the fact that

x * (w/tan(wt)) = awcos(wt) = v

to generate a dataset (B) of velocities in m/s, then I should be able to find the calibration factor, CF using:

CF = (Dataset B)/(Dataset A)

HOWEVER, when I plot the velocities in m/s against time in s, the graph I get is a tan wave, but it should be a sin wave. This is extremely frustrating! Someone please help!

I have since solved my problem this is what i used.

The recorded velocity was given in volts and the velocity needs to be in m/s, a calibration factor can be determined to change the velocity from volts into m/s. The velocity in volts and in m/s has the same frequency, same sinusoidal wave but a different amplitude, so the calibration factor can be determined using equation 7.
Calibration Factor=aωcosωt/(V_max cosωt) (7)
This can be simplified to equation 8.
Calibration Factor=aω/V_max (8)

Multiplying a value of velocity recorded in voltage by this calibration factor will return a velocity in m/s.

1. How do you calculate a calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s?

To calculate the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s, you need to first determine the conversion rate between the two units. This can be done by conducting experiments where you measure the voltage and corresponding velocity of an object in motion. Once you have a set of data points, you can use linear regression to find the slope of the best-fit line, which represents the calibration factor.

2. Why is it important to calibrate velocity between Volts and m/s?

Calibrating velocity between Volts and m/s is important because it ensures accurate and consistent measurements. Without a calibration factor, there may be errors in the readings, leading to incorrect conclusions and potentially compromising the validity of the results.

3. Can the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s change over time?

Yes, the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s can change over time due to various factors such as degradation of equipment, environmental changes, or human error. It is important to regularly check and adjust the calibration factor to maintain accuracy.

4. How does temperature affect the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s?

Temperature can affect the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s as it can impact the sensitivity and accuracy of the measuring equipment. It is important to conduct experiments and calibrate at a consistent temperature to minimize any potential errors.

5. Are there any standard units for the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s?

No, there are no standard units for the calibration factor for velocity between Volts and m/s as it is specific to the equipment and experiment being conducted. However, the most commonly used unit is m/s per Volt (m/s/V).