What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

In summary, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the product of the uncertainties in a particle's position and momentum must be greater than or equal to half of Planck's constant or one quarter of Planck's constant over 2pi. This formula is often displayed differently in different sources, but the standard deviation of position and momentum is always used.
clementc
What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle??

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,

Until very recently, I had always thought that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle was that
[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \frac{h}{2\pi}[/tex] (or [tex]\hbar[/tex])

However, I'm doing my final year of high school physics this year, and my physics teacher, tutor, random textbooks and even Wikipedia say its [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex].
(Well Wikipedia also says its [tex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq h[/tex] so yeah...LOL)

I was just wondering which one was really correct. I'm thinking [tex]\frac{h}{2\pi}[/tex] like it says in Giancoli and Halliday/Resnick? But not really sure.

Thank you =D

Physics news on Phys.org

Well every textbook I have seen it in says that it is:
[tex]\frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]
which is equivalent to:
[tex]\frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

Perhaps others could shed some light on why you may see it displayed different ways in different situations... But, as far as I know this is the actual formula. and it is really the standard deviations of x and p, written like:
[tex]\sigma_{x}\sigma_{p}\geq\frac{1}{2}\hbar[/tex]

Well, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle strikes again!

1. What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

2. Who developed the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle was developed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. Why is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it challenges the traditional view of determinism in physics and shows that there are inherent limitations to our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.

4. How does the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle has led to a shift in our understanding of the physical world, as it shows that there is an inherent randomness and uncertainty at the quantum level. It also highlights the limitations of our current understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. Can the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It is a fundamental aspect of the behavior of particles at the quantum level and cannot be violated.