Colour planes still existing after filtering

by vipis
Tags: colour, existing, filtering, planes
vipis
Jan22-14, 11:01 AM
P: 1
Hey. Im wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when im using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter lets only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
mfb
Jan22-14, 03:10 PM
Mentor
P: 10,840
What do you mean with "still there"?
Filters and color-sensitive detectors are not perfect (and they would not work as intended if they would be perfect) - even with a filter, you'll get non-zero green and blue values in a digital image.
Andy Resnick
Jan22-14, 08:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
Quote Quote by vipis View Post
Hey. Im wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when im using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter lets only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance
If I understand your question, its because the light passing through the filter can still be (barely) detected by the green and blue sensor pixels- the Beyer filters are fairly broad, do you have any specs on your red filter?

Claude Bile
Jan24-14, 06:31 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,465

Colour planes still existing after filtering

I agree with Andy - the blue and green sensors will still register a response when exposed to red light because the spectral response curve partially overlaps the red part of the visible spectrum.

Claude.

Register to reply