How can I solve for the Thevenin resistance in this circuit?

In summary: If you have a solution, please post it in the comments. Thank you!In summary, if you want to find the thevenin resistance in a circuit, you can short out the 9V source and add a 1V test source to find the open circuit voltage and short circuit current. You can then use the KVL or KCL equations to find the thevenin resistance.
Novark
I'm doing some practice problems, and I can't seem to figure out where to even begin with this one.

4028601762_c19c81854b_o.jpg

I've tried solving for [tex]R_{T}[/tex] (Thevenin resistance) by removing the 9V source and adding a 1V test source across the load, and I've also tried solving for [tex]R{_T}[/tex] by leaving the 9V source in the circuit.

If someone could walk me through the steps, I would greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Novark said:
I'm doing some practice problems, and I can't seem to figure out where to even begin with this one.

4028601762_c19c81854b_o.jpg

I've tried solving for [tex]R_{T}[/tex] (Thevenin resistance) by removing the 9V source and adding a 1V test source across the load, and I've also tried solving for [tex]R{_T}[/tex] by leaving the 9V source in the circuit.

If someone could walk me through the steps, I would greatly appreciate it!

Start with either KVL or KCL equations. What is the power in RL? How does varying the value of RL affect the power equation? What's the power for a small value of RL like 1 Ohm? What about 1k Ohm?

What technique in calculus is used to maximize something?

Novark said:

You can find the thevenin resistance by finding the open circuit voltage and the short circuit current.
The tevenin resistance is (open circuit voltage)/(short circuit current)

Finding these can IMO most easily be done by finding an equation for the potential of the point between the 3 resistances with KCL.

To find Rth :

short out 9v voltage supply and open RL resistor
the independent 3Vx source remains.
Introduce voltage source Vth from RL terminal
and Isc flowing into the 4ohm resistor from Vth

using KVL with mesh currents both are clockwise,
The below equation is derived :

<< complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
hadiffina said:
To find Rth :

short out 9v voltage supply and open RL resistor
the independent 3Vx source remains.
Introduce voltage source Vth from RL terminal
and Isc flowing into the 4ohm resistor from Vth

using KVL with mesh currents both are clockwise,
The below equation is derived :

<< complete solution deleted by berkeman >>

Please do not post complete solutions to homework/coursework questions. That does not help the student learn how to learn, and is against the PF Rules.

Instead, offer tutorial hints and correct mistakes.

1. What is maximum power to a load?

Maximum power to a load refers to the maximum amount of power that can be delivered from a source to a load, without damaging either the source or the load.

2. How is maximum power to a load calculated?

The maximum power to a load can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that power (P) is equal to the square of the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This can be written as P = I^2 * R.

3. What factors affect maximum power to a load?

The main factors that affect maximum power to a load include the voltage of the source, the resistance of the load, and the efficiency of the circuit. Other factors such as temperature and impedance can also have an impact.

4. How can maximum power to a load be increased?

To increase the maximum power to a load, the voltage of the source can be increased, the resistance of the load can be decreased, or the efficiency of the circuit can be improved. Additionally, using a step-up transformer or a power amplifier can also increase the maximum power to a load.

5. Why is it important to consider maximum power to a load in circuit design?

In circuit design, it is important to consider the maximum power to a load in order to ensure that the source and the load are matched properly. Mismatched power levels can result in damage to the components and can lead to inefficiency in the circuit. By understanding and optimizing for maximum power to a load, circuit designers can create more reliable and efficient systems.