How to add inductors in series/parallel?

• Thread starter ozone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductors
In summary, adding inductors in series results in their mutual inductance being included, while adding them in parallel is similar to adding resistors in series. Their behavior is opposite to that of capacitors, with inductors storing current and capacitors storing voltage. However, this topic may not be covered in all textbooks, like in the case of Serway and Jewett's book.
ozone
How to add inductors in series/parallel??

I was curious about this subject after it came up on my last physics test. However my teacher never covered this topic, and it wasn't in my book.

Basicly I am wondering how inductors get added together when they are in series or parallel.

My best guess was that they model resistors.

Physics news on Phys.org

the way I always remember it is that inductors and capacitors are opposites

Caps store voltage and add in parallel

Inductors store current and add in series

ozone said:
However my teacher never covered this topic, and it wasn't in my book.

Which book is that?

Basicly I am wondering how inductors get added together when they are in series or parallel.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=series+and+parallel+inductors

Whenever you combine inductors, in whatever configuration, you must also include their mutual inductance. It can be of either sign depending on the geometry.

Serway and Jewett failed to mention this anywhere as far as I could tell.. It outlined capacitors very well but then it just glanced over how inductors work in parallel/series.

Anyways thanks it makes sense now.

1. How do I connect inductors in series?

To connect inductors in series, you simply connect the positive terminal of one inductor to the negative terminal of the next inductor. This creates a single loop of inductors, with the total inductance being the sum of the individual inductances.

2. What is the formula for calculating total inductance in a series circuit?

The formula for calculating total inductance in a series circuit is Ltotal = L1 + L2 + L3 + ... + Ln, where L1, L2, L3, etc. are the individual inductances.

3. How do I calculate the total inductance of inductors in parallel?

To calculate the total inductance of inductors in parallel, you can use the formula Ltotal = 1 / (1/L1 + 1/L2 + 1/L3 + ... + 1/Ln). This is because inductors in parallel result in a decrease in overall inductance.

4. Can I mix inductors of different values in a series or parallel circuit?

Yes, you can mix inductors of different values in a series or parallel circuit. However, keep in mind that the total inductance will be affected, so it is important to calculate the total inductance using the appropriate formula.

5. What is the purpose of adding inductors in series or parallel?

Adding inductors in series or parallel allows for the creation of custom inductances for specific applications. It can also help to reduce total inductance in a circuit or increase the inductance in a circuit without having to use a single, larger inductor.