Right-handed, left-handed systems for different coordinate systems, et al

In summary, the orientations of the coordinate axes for other coordinate systems, such as cylindrical and spherical, are defined through the use of tensor calculus and transformations from Euclidean systems. These systems also have inner products and metrics, and the transformation is done using an operator. The unit vectors for these systems are orthogonal, and the usual rules for multiplying orthogonal vectors in the cross product apply. The formula for right-handedness can be found through a reference to curvilinear coordinates and the determinant of the matrix determines the orientation of the system.
spaghetti3451
I know the orientations of the x-, y- and z- axes for a right-handed and a left-handed system. But that's for the cartesian coordinate system. How are the orientations of the coordinate axes for other coordinate systems defined?

Also, i X j = k, j X k = i and k X i = j. How does this apply for the unit vectors along the coordinate axes for cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems?

Physics news on Phys.org
For cylindrical they are orthogonal, ie one is along the radial vector another is tangent to the circle and the third is in the z direction.

Similarly for spherical coordinates, one is along the radial direction, the second is tangential to the sphere and third is also tangential and perpendicular to the second.

Hey failexam.

What typically happens for generalized co-ordinate systems is that we have a transformation from Euclidean systems to the actual system itself in the form of what is known as tensor calculus.

Tensor calculus formulates the generalization of geometry for general co-ordinate systems.

Like the euclidean system we have inner products and we have a metric just like we do in the normal euclidean system. We also have a way to go from one system to another in terms of a vector using an operator (i.e. think of it as a matrix) where we can take one vector and then get the same vector in another system.

It's the same kind of thing intuitively as if you have x and you wish to apply f(x) to get a value under the transformation of f. If an inverse for f exists you can then apply f_inverse(f(x)) = x to get back x (assuming f inverse exists for some x).

If you recall in linear algebra, we use the idea of inverses to do the above and not surprisingly inverses tell us when we can do the above kind of transformations between co-ordinate systems.

Thanks for th replies. But I guess the replies do not answer the question.

All I am asking for is a picture of right- and left- handedness for cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems and the cross products of orthogonal unit vectors in those coordinate systems?

For example, cylindrical right-handed system: r points away from the origin along the xy plane, phi points counterclockwise and z points upwards. ?

For example, cylindrical left-handed system: r points away from the origin along the xy plane, phi points clockwise and z points upwards. ?

For example, r X phi = z ? If so, why?

I don't know if these are the right answers but I am just trying to work out this type of answer to the above questions.

failexam said:
Actually, i think i figured out the answer.

The formula for right-handedness is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_vector#Curvilinear_coordinates

and the unit vectors are orthogonal, so the usual rules for multiplying orthogonal vectors in the cross product apply.

Look at the sign of the determinant of the matrix for its orientation: +1 for positive oriented and -1 for negatively oriented.

1. What is the difference between a right-handed and left-handed coordinate system?

A right-handed coordinate system is one in which the direction of positive rotation follows the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of rotation. A left-handed coordinate system follows the left-hand rule, where the fingers of the left hand curl in the direction of rotation.

2. How do I know which coordinate system to use?

The choice of coordinate system depends on the application and the conventions used in that field. In mathematics and physics, the right-handed coordinate system is commonly used, while in computer graphics and engineering, both right-handed and left-handed systems may be used depending on the software or hardware being used.

3. Can I convert between right-handed and left-handed coordinate systems?

Yes, it is possible to convert between right-handed and left-handed coordinate systems by changing the sign of one of the axes. For example, to convert from a right-handed system to a left-handed system, you can simply change the sign of the y-axis.

4. Are there any advantages to using a right-handed or left-handed coordinate system?

The choice of coordinate system does not affect the accuracy or precision of calculations, so there is no inherent advantage to using one over the other. However, some applications may have specific conventions or preferences for using a particular system.

5. How does handedness affect vector and matrix operations?

The handedness of a coordinate system does not affect vector operations, as vectors are direction-based and do not change with the orientation of the coordinate system. However, matrix operations may need to be adjusted when switching between right-handed and left-handed systems, as the order of multiplication may change.