Help with an irregular integral

by mmzaj
Tags: integral, irregular
Share this thread:
mmzaj
Dec9-12, 01:11 PM
P: 99
I am looking for help with doing the following integral :
[tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{1}^{\infty}\ln\left(\frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}} \right )\frac{dx}{x\left(\ln x+z\right)}\;\;\;\;z\in \mathbb{C}[/tex]
i tried to transform it into a complex integral along a 'keyhole' contour, with a branch cut along the +ive real line [itex]\left[1,\infty\right)[/itex]. but then [itex]\;\ln x\;[/itex] would be transformed into [itex]\;\ln x+2\pi i\;[/itex] when doing the integral along [itex]\left(\infty,1\right]\;[/itex] which doesn't add up nicely to the portion along [itex]\left[1,\infty\right)[/itex]. any insights are appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
haruspex
Dec9-12, 11:35 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
Doesn't this simplify fairly easily?
Quote Quote by mmzaj View Post
[tex]\frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}}[/tex]
mmzaj
Dec10-12, 03:06 AM
you would think !!! but no, it doesn't ....

mmzaj
Dec10-12, 10:09 AM
Help with an irregular integral

The integral above is equivalent to :

[tex] \int_{1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2}-x+\left \lfloor x \right \rfloor \right )\left(\frac{1}{x\left(\ln x+z\right)}\right)dx [/tex]
And
[tex]\int_{1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2 \pi n x)}{n\pi}\left(\frac{1}{x\left(\ln x+z\right)}\right)dx [/tex]
haruspex
Dec10-12, 03:56 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,645
[itex]\frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}} = \frac{e^{-2\pi i x}(e^{2\pi i x}-1)}{1-e^{2\pi i x}} = -e^{-2\pi i x}[/itex]
I end up with [itex]\int_0^∞\frac{1-2e^u}{2(u+z)}du[/itex]
which surely doesn't converge?
mmzaj
Dec12-12, 01:20 PM
Quote Quote by haruspex View Post
[itex]\frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}} = \frac{e^{-2\pi i x}(e^{2\pi i x}-1)}{1-e^{2\pi i x}} = -e^{-2\pi i x}[/itex]
I end up with [itex]\int_0^∞\frac{1-2e^u}{2(u+z)}du[/itex]
which surely doesn't converge?
you missed the fact that the inverse of the complex exponential - the complex [itex]\log[/itex] function- is multivalued. namely :
[tex] \frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}}=-e^{-2\pi i x}=e^{-2\pi i \left(x-1/2\right)}=e^{-2\pi i \left(\left \{ x \right \}-1/2\right)}[/tex]
Where [itex] \left \{ x \right \}[/itex] is the fractional part of x. Thus:
[tex] \frac{1}{2\pi i}\ln\left(\frac{1-e^{-2\pi i x}}{1-e^{2\pi i x}}\right)=\frac{1}{2}-\left \{ x \right \}[/tex]
Another way to think of it is to take the Taylor expansion of the [itex] \log[/itex]:
[tex] \frac{1}{2\pi i}\left(\ln\left(1-e^{-2\pi i x}\right)-\ln(1-e^{2\pi i x})\right)=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{e^{2\pi i k x}-e^{-2\pi i kx}}{k}=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2\pi k x)}{k\pi}[/tex]
Which in turn is the Fourier expansion of [itex]\frac{1}{2}-\left \{ x \right \} [/itex]
Using these facts, we can prove that the integral in question is equal to the limit:
[tex] e^{-z}\text{Ei}(z)+\lim_{N\rightarrow \infty}\sum_{n=1}^{N}\left(n+\frac{1}{2} \right )\ln\left(\frac{\ln(n+1)+z}{\ln(n)+z} \right )-e^{-z}\text{Ei}(z+\ln N)[/tex]
Where [itex] \text{Ei}(z)[/itex] is the exponential integral function. But i'm stuck with this cumbersome limit

Register to reply