Variation of chemical potential with T and P

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "the rate of reaction" in this context, but A and the rate of reaction are not necessarily directly related. Affinity is a measure of how much a reaction will tend to occur spontaneously, while the rate of reaction depends on factors such as activation energy and reaction kinetics.
Urmi Roy
So the expression for Gibb's free energy is:

dG = -SdT + VdP + μdN,

Here, we see that the Gibb's free energy changes with temperature (dT), change in pressure (dP) and change in chemical potential (as a result of change in particle number).

My question is: we know chemical potential varies with both change in temperature and pressure. So if we don't add/remove particles from the system, the chemical potential does change with variation of P and T...so is that already included in the above equation?

(That is, in the above equation, are we accounting for the change in Gibb's free energy as a result of change in chemical potential as a result of variation of T and P, in addition to the change in chemical potential due to change in particle number).

Further, when the number of particles changes, there might be a number of chemical reactions that take place, so the temperature T might change because of that also, which would change the sdT term at the beginning, right?

I guess I'm just having problems understanding chemical potential :-/

Engineering news on Phys.org
Urmi Roy said:
So the expression for Gibb's free energy is:

dG = -SdT + VdP + μdN,

Here, we see that the Gibb's free energy changes with temperature (dT), change in pressure (dP) and change in chemical potential (as a result of change in particle number).

My question is: we know chemical potential varies with both change in temperature and pressure. So if we don't add/remove particles from the system, the chemical potential does change with variation of P and T...so is that already included in the above equation?

(That is, in the above equation, are we accounting for the change in Gibb's free energy as a result of change in chemical potential as a result of variation of T and P, in addition to the change in chemical potential due to change in particle number).

Further, when the number of particles changes, there might be a number of chemical reactions that take place, so the temperature T might change because of that also, which would change the sdT term at the beginning, right?

I guess I'm just having problems understanding chemical potential :-/

The answer to all your questions is "yes", the equation for dG takes all these things into account. The Gibbs Free Energy G can be expressed as a function of T, P, and N1, ..., Nm, where m is the number of species in the solution:

[tex]G=G(T,P,N_1,...,N_m)[/tex]

An infinitecimal change in G can be represented using the chain rule for partial differentiation:

[tex]dG=\frac{\partial G}{\partial T}dT+\frac{\partial G}{\partial P}dP+\frac{\partial G}{\partial N_1}dN_1+...+\frac{\partial G}{\partial N_m}dN_m[/tex]
Each of the partial derivatives in this equation is a function of T, P, and the N's, with
[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial T}=-S[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial P}=V[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial G}{\partial N_i}=μ_i[/tex]

I hope this helps.

Of course mu is a function of T and P, also.
Given that ##\mu=\partial G/\partial N## we have ##(\partial\mu /\partial T)_P=\partial^2 G/\partial N \partial T=\partial^2 G /\partial T \partial N =-(\partial S/\partial N)_P = S_m## i.e. the partial molar entropy and analogously
##(\partial \mu/\partial P)_T=V_m ## the partial molar volume.
So for fixed N, ##d\mu=-S_mdT+V_m dP##

Likes pallab
Can I just go on to ask what the difference between chemical potential and chemical affinity is? They seem to , intuitively, mean the same thing but chemical potential is +ve for a reaction that's progressing and affinity is negative!

Also, is A (affinity) always the same sign as the rate of reaction?

##A=-\Delta G_r=-\sum \nu_i \mu_i##
were ##\nu_i## are the stochiometric coefficients of the reaction taking place.
So basically A is a weighed sum of chemical potentials.

Likes 1 person

1. What is chemical potential?

Chemical potential is a measure of the energy that is required to add one additional molecule of a substance to a system while keeping the volume, temperature, and number of other molecules constant.

2. How does chemical potential vary with temperature?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of molecules also increases. This results in a higher chemical potential as more energy is required to add molecules to the system.

3. How does chemical potential vary with pressure?

Pressure is directly proportional to the concentration of a gas. Therefore, as pressure increases, the concentration of gas molecules in the system also increases, resulting in a higher chemical potential.

4. What is the relationship between temperature, pressure, and chemical potential?

The relationship between temperature, pressure, and chemical potential is described by the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which states that at equilibrium, the change in chemical potential with respect to temperature and pressure is equal to zero.

5. How does chemical potential affect the equilibrium of a reaction?

The chemical potential of a substance is a determining factor in the direction of a chemical reaction. In a closed system, the reaction will tend to proceed in the direction of decreasing chemical potential until it reaches equilibrium, where the chemical potential of the reactants and products are equal.