Calculating Electron Diffraction in a 50.0 kV Television

In summary, the homework problem involves electrons being accelerated through a potential difference and then passing through a deflecting capacitor. The formula for the relativistic speed of the electron can be derived using the conservation of energy principle, and the width of the capacitor is important in considering electron diffraction effects. The de Broglie equation can be used to calculate the electron's wavelength, which can then be compared to the width of the capacitor to determine the importance of electron diffraction.
marc.orr
question:
Electrons in a television are accelerated through a potential difference of 50.0 kV and then pass through a deflecting capacitor of width 1.00 cm. Are electron diffraction effects important in this situation? Justify your answer with one or more calculations.

A couple of questions about the homework problem above that I was assigned.

1) At the link below, they show the formula for the relativistic speed of an electron accelerated through a potential differnce. I can't seem to derive it. I just set KE(e) = PE(field)
E-Eo = eV ; E = relativistic energy, Eo = rest energy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_diffraction

2) In the problem he gives the width of the capacitor. I'm guessing this is supposed to be some sort of diffraction grading. Do you need to use this information. I was just thinking that you could compare the debroglie wavelength the to diameter of the electron.

-Marc

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your questions regarding the homework problem. I can help clarify the concepts and provide some calculations to justify the importance of electron diffraction effects in this situation.

Firstly, let's address your question about deriving the formula for the relativistic speed of an electron accelerated through a potential difference. This formula can be derived using the conservation of energy principle, where the kinetic energy gained by the electron is equal to the potential energy it gains from the electric field. We can express this as:

KE = PE
(1/2)mv^2 = eV

Where m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, e is the elementary charge, and V is the potential difference. From here, we can rearrange the equation to solve for v:

v = √(2eV/m)

This is the formula for the relativistic speed of the electron.

Moving on to your second question about the width of the deflecting capacitor, this information is indeed important in considering electron diffraction effects. In order for diffraction to occur, the width of the barrier or grating must be comparable to the wavelength of the particles. In this case, the width of the capacitor is 1.00 cm, while the electron's wavelength can be calculated using the de Broglie equation:

λ = h/mv

Where h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is its velocity. Substituting the value for v from our previous calculation, we get:

λ = h/√(2eV/m)

Using the values for h, e, and V, we can calculate the wavelength of the electron. If this value is comparable to the width of the capacitor, then we can say that electron diffraction effects are important in this situation.

I hope this helps clarify the concepts and provides some calculations to justify the importance of electron diffraction effects in this scenario. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is electron diffraction in a 50.0 kV television?

Electron diffraction in a 50.0 kV television is the phenomenon of electrons being scattered by the atoms in a sample, which produces a diffraction pattern that can be used to determine the structure of the sample.

2. How is electron diffraction calculated in a 50.0 kV television?

The calculations for electron diffraction in a 50.0 kV television involve using the Debye-Scherrer equation, which takes into account the electron voltage, wavelength, and scattering angle to determine the spacing between atomic planes in the sample.

3. What is the significance of a 50.0 kV electron beam in television technology?

The 50.0 kV electron beam in television technology is significant because it allows for higher resolution imaging and better contrast in electron diffraction patterns, making it easier to analyze the structure of the sample.

4. How does the voltage of the electron beam affect the diffraction pattern in a 50.0 kV television?

The voltage of the electron beam in a 50.0 kV television affects the diffraction pattern by determining the speed and energy of the electrons, which in turn affects the scattering angle and intensity of the diffraction peaks.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of electron diffraction calculations in a 50.0 kV television?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of electron diffraction calculations in a 50.0 kV television include sample thickness, sample purity, and instrument calibration. These factors should be carefully controlled and considered in order to obtain reliable results.