Understanding Junction Rule: Slide 10 Explanation

• Thread starter Alt+F4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Junction
In summary, the current I3 may be negative if E2 is strong enough, indicating it is in the opposite direction as written. The convention is to write currents in the clockwise direction and the + sign indicates a higher potential.
Alt+F4
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/phys102/fall06/print_files/lect06_handout.ppt#10

Slide 10

How come the sign for R3 is not the opposite, shouldn't the postive charge be carried from E2 up to R3 making it + then -

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way the currents are written, I1 + I2 = I3. If E2 is sufficiently strong, the current I3 may be negative, indicating it is in the opposite direction as that which is written.

If anything the current I2 should have been written in the opposite direction and it's polarity reversed, such that I1 = I2 + I3. By convention, currents are usually written in the clockwise direction of a loop. The + sign simply indicates a higher potential.

?

The sign for R3 in this circuit is determined by the direction of the current flowing through it. Since the current is flowing from the positive terminal of the battery, through R1 and R2, and then through R3 back to the negative terminal, the current direction through R3 is from + to -. This means that R3 is experiencing a voltage drop, which is why it is labeled as - in the junction rule. The positive charge is indeed carried from E2 to R3, but the direction of the current flow determines the voltage drop and therefore the sign of R3 in the junction rule.

1. What is the Junction Rule?

The Junction Rule, also known as Kirchhoff's Current Law, is a fundamental law in electrical circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a junction or node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that junction. This is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. How is the Junction Rule applied?

The Junction Rule is applied in electrical circuit analysis by using it to write equations that relate the currents at a junction. These equations are then used to solve for unknown currents or voltage drops in the circuit.

3. What is the significance of the Junction Rule in circuit analysis?

The Junction Rule is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to determine the behavior of complex circuits by simplifying them into smaller sections. It is also a fundamental principle that is used in many other laws and principles in electrical engineering.

4. Are there any exceptions to the Junction Rule?

In ideal circuit analysis, the Junction Rule holds true. However, in real-world circuits, there may be cases where the Junction Rule does not apply due to factors such as non-ideal components, parasitic elements, or high-frequency effects. In these cases, more advanced analysis techniques may be needed.

5. Can the Junction Rule be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, the Junction Rule can be applied to both DC and AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the currents must be analyzed using complex numbers and the phasor representation of sinusoidal signals.