Directional derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the directional derivative of a function and finding the unit vector in the direction of the greatest rate of change. The direction for maximizing the derivative should be -3, as determined by the gradient of the function.
cabellos
Im doing the following question:

calculate the directional derivative of the function f(x,y,z) = z/(2x + y) at the point (0,1,1) in the direction d = 2i - 2j - k

could someone please check my answer is correct as i calculated -3i -6k

Also how do i find the unit vector in the direction of the greatest rate of change of the function f(x,y,z)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think again. The directional derivative of a scalar function is not a vector. Hint: look at the concept of gradient.

the gradient i found was -2z/(2x+y)^2 i + -z/(2x+y)^2 j + 2x+y/(2x+y)^2 k

i thought the directional derivative was then s.grad

what should the answer be?

It IS s.grad. But s.grad is a scalar.

ok sorry. i think iv got the answer now. -1 ?

What is your vector for grad? You'd better check arithmetic...

I've got to go now. But as for your second question, if derivative is s.grad, what direction should s point to maximize the derivative?

how about -3?

-3? I like it.

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a particular direction at a given point. It represents the rate of change of the function in the direction of a vector.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the specified direction.

What is the significance of a directional derivative?

The directional derivative is important in understanding the behavior of a function in a specific direction. It can help determine the direction of steepest ascent or descent, and can also be used in optimization problems.

Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the specified direction at the given point.

How is the directional derivative related to partial derivatives?

The directional derivative is closely related to partial derivatives. In fact, the partial derivatives in the x and y directions are the directional derivatives in the direction of the x-axis and y-axis, respectively. The directional derivative can be thought of as a generalization of partial derivatives in any direction.