What Can You Do About a Red Eye That Won't Improve?

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eye
In summary, the person's left eye has been red since Thursday and has not improved. It becomes worse when they work with it, but even when they don't work hard, it remains red. Their right eye was also red but is now getting better. The person is advised to see a doctor if the left eye is still red after several days, as it could be due to various reasons such as a foreign object, infection, rubbing, or allergies. A doctor can determine the cause and provide proper treatment if needed.
En_lizard
my left eyes got red since thursday and hasnt got well. it just gets worst when i work a lot with it but even though i don't work hard with it its still red!
my right eye was red as well but a bit less and now it gets well totally but my left eye:confused:

Biology news on Phys.org
If it's still red after that many days, see a doctor. It could be anything from some small particle of something trapped under the eyelid irritating it, to an infection (i.e., pink eye), or you just rubbing it too much, or itching from allergies. A doctor can take a look and help find the reason and prescribe treatment if necessary.

If your red eye has not improved since Thursday, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Redness in the eye can be a symptom of various conditions such as conjunctivitis, dry eye, or even a more serious infection. It is best to consult with an eye doctor to determine the cause and receive proper treatment.

In the meantime, you can try some home remedies to alleviate the redness and discomfort. Applying a cold compress can help reduce inflammation and soothe the eye. Make sure to avoid rubbing your eyes, as this can worsen the redness and potentially spread any infection. Also, make sure to avoid wearing contact lenses until your eye has fully healed.

If your right eye has improved but your left eye is still red, it is possible that you may have a different underlying issue. It is important to have both eyes checked by a professional to ensure proper treatment. Remember to always take care of your eyes and seek medical attention when needed.

1. What causes red eyes?

Red eyes are often caused by irritation or inflammation of the blood vessels in the eyes. This can be due to a variety of factors such as allergies, dryness, infections, or even tiredness.

2. How can I treat red eyes?

The treatment for red eyes depends on the underlying cause. If it is due to allergies, avoiding the allergen and using over-the-counter antihistamine eye drops may help. If it is caused by dryness, using artificial tears can provide relief. In cases of infection, antibiotic eye drops may be prescribed. It is important to consult with an eye doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.

3. Is it safe to wear contact lenses with red eyes?

It is not recommended to wear contact lenses when experiencing red eyes, as it can further irritate the eyes and potentially worsen the condition. It is best to remove the lenses and consult with an eye doctor for proper treatment.

4. Can red eyes be a symptom of a more serious condition?

In some cases, red eyes can be a symptom of a more serious condition such as glaucoma or uveitis. If redness persists or is accompanied by pain, vision changes, or discharge, it is important to seek medical attention to rule out any underlying conditions.

5. How can I prevent red eyes?

To prevent red eyes, it is important to practice good eye hygiene such as washing your hands before touching your eyes, taking breaks from screens to prevent eye strain, and avoiding irritants such as smoke or allergens. If you have chronic dry eyes, using artificial tears regularly can also help prevent redness.