Intro Topology: boundry Q

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving that every nonempty proper subset of Rn has a nonempty boundary. Two potential approaches are suggested: using induction on the number of elements in the subset, or assuming that the boundary of the subset is empty and finding a contradiction. The definition of boundary and its connection to connected spaces is also mentioned, and it is noted that the goal may be to prove that the n-dimensional reals are connected under the usual topology.
redyelloworange

Homework Statement

Prove that every nonempty proper subset of Rn has a nonempty boundry.

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I let S be an nonempty subset of Rn and S does not equal Rn.

I tried to go about this in 2 different ways:

1) let x be in S and show that B(r,x) ∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø. I figured this wouldn't work with just one x in S. Or perhaps, I thought I should use induction on the number of elements in S?
2) Assume that bdS is empty and find a contradiction. However, I wasn't able to figure out a contradiction here. Unless, this implies that S equals Rn, then that's a contradiction. But I'm not quite sure it implies that. I think that this is the proof you use to show that Rn and the empty set are the only 2 that are both open and closed.

Thanks for your help! =)

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the definition of boundry?

bd(S) = {x in Rn s.t. B(r,x)∩ S ≠ ø and B(r,x) ∩ Sc≠ ø for every r>0}

Take a point x in S and a point y in S^C and consider the line t*x+(1-t)*y for t in [0,1].

Well you could assume the contrary and first prove that S must be closed and similarly that S must be open. Now which are the only sets in a connected space with that property?

river_rat said:
Well you could assume the contrary and first prove that S must be closed and similarly that S must be open. Now which are the only sets in a connected space with that property?

Redyelloworange is aware of that, he mentions that he thinks the goal is to prove that the n-dimensional reals are connected under the usual topolgy:
I think that this is the proof you use to show that Rn and the empty set are the only 2 that are both open and closed.

1. What is the concept of boundary in topology?

The boundary of a topological space is a set of points that are neither completely inside nor completely outside the space. It is the boundary between the interior and exterior of the space and is denoted as ∂(X).

2. How is the boundary of a topological space defined?

The boundary of a topological space X is defined as the set of points that have neighborhoods in both the interior and exterior of X. In other words, a point belongs to the boundary if every open set containing that point contains points from both the interior and exterior of X.

3. What is the importance of the boundary in topology?

The boundary is an important concept in topology as it helps us to distinguish between different types of spaces. For example, if a space has no boundary, it is considered a "closed" space, while a space with a boundary is considered an "open" space. Furthermore, the boundary also helps us to define other topological concepts such as interior and exterior of a space.

4. How is the boundary related to the closure of a topological space?

The boundary of a topological space X is always a subset of the closure of X, denoted as cl(X). This means that the boundary cannot contain any points that are not in the closure of X. In other words, if a point is in the boundary, it must also be in the closure of X.

5. Can a set be both open and closed in a topological space?

Yes, a set in a topological space can be both open and closed. This is possible when the set contains its boundary, such as the interval [0,1] in the real line. In this case, the set is closed because it contains all its boundary points, and it is also open because it does not contain any of its boundary points in its interior.