Noises in the Chimney: A Story of a Surprising Visitor

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker woke up to the sound of something falling down the chimney. They removed the board covering the opening, only to find a black bird standing there. After waiting for the bird to leave, the speaker was left with a trail of soot and a feeling of disappointment about their expensive Christmas present.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I woke with the sounds of some thing falling down the chimney again, it sounded like large lumps hitting the board i have covering the opening.
Dreading the worst i leavered the board out, and what, a little black bird stood standing there looking really brassed off, well it may have not been a black bird, any way i open the door and waited, the bird gave me hard stare for 20secs or so then fluttered away, leaving a trail of soot :grumpy:
Thankless little b.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I woke with the sounds of some thing falling down the chimney again, it sounded like large lumps hitting the board i have covering the opening.
Dreading the worst i leavered the board out, and what, a little black bird stood standing there looking really brassed off, well it may have not been a black bird, any way i open the door and waited, the bird gave me hard stare for 20secs or so then fluttered away, leaving a trail of soot :grumpy:
Thankless little b.
Got bats in your belfry? :biggrin:

Evo said:
Got bats in your belfry? :biggrin:

Scratch one very expensive xmas present :tongue2:

1. What could be causing the noises in my chimney?

There are several possible explanations for noises in the chimney, including small animals such as birds or squirrels, debris or branches falling down the chimney, or even wind gusts. It is important to investigate further to determine the exact cause.

2. How can I tell if there is an animal stuck in my chimney?

If you suspect there may be an animal stuck in your chimney, you can listen for scratching or chirping noises. You may also notice a strong odor or debris falling down the chimney. It is best to contact a professional to safely remove any animals from the chimney.

3. Is it dangerous to have an animal in my chimney?

In most cases, having a small animal in the chimney is not dangerous. However, if the animal is unable to escape, it may become stuck and cause damage to the chimney or create a blockage. It is important to have any animals removed by a professional to prevent potential hazards.

4. How can I prevent animals from entering my chimney?

To prevent animals from entering your chimney, it is recommended to install a chimney cap or screen. This will prevent birds and small animals from entering while still allowing proper ventilation for your fireplace. Regular maintenance and inspections of the chimney can also help identify any potential entry points for animals.

5. What should I do if I hear noises in my chimney?

If you hear noises in your chimney, it is important to investigate further and determine the cause. If it is an animal, contact a professional to safely remove it. If it is debris or other materials, it is best to have the chimney inspected and cleaned to prevent any potential hazards. It is also recommended to install a chimney cap or screen to prevent any future issues.