Does Gauss' Law Hold for Infinite Gaussian Surfaces?

In summary, there was a discussion about the proof of Gauss' law and its applicability to infinite surfaces. It was mentioned that the proof only applies to finite surfaces and that there needs to be an assumption of the vector field vanishing at infinity. An example was given of a charge distribution in the universe where the electric field is zero everywhere, but the enclosed charge is non-zero and the surface integral is zero. However, it was noted that this example may not be entirely accurate and that infinite Gaussian surfaces can still work as long as the charge distribution is finite and the vector field vanishes at infinity.
Ahmes
Hi,
From what I understand the proof of Gauss' law applies only to finite surfaces.
Can anyone give an example of a charge distribution and an infinite Gaussian surface, where the total flux on it is not proportional to the enclosed charge?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is similar to what you asked for.
An example I heard was this:
Imagine the universe filled with a constant non-zero charge distribution.

By symmetry, we know the electric field is zero everywhere.

But any closed surface we draw, the enclosed charge is non-zero, but the surface integral is zero.

[my memory is rusty on the conclusion, someone please correct this if I am wrong]
Therefore yes, Gauss' law does depend on an assumption at infinity... it only applies to vector fields that vanish at infinity.

I believe what you asked for though "a charge distribution and an infinite Gaussian surface", will always work if the charge distribution is finite in extent so that the vector field vanishes at infinity. So with that one caveat, I believe infinite Gaussian surfaces are no problem.

I can confirm that Gauss' law does indeed apply to finite surfaces. However, the concept of an infinite Gaussian surface can still be useful in certain situations. For example, in the case of a uniformly charged infinite plane, the electric field is constant and perpendicular to the surface, making it a useful application of Gauss' law. In this case, the total flux through the infinite Gaussian surface would be proportional to the enclosed charge.

However, as you have rightly pointed out, there are situations where the total flux on an infinite Gaussian surface may not be proportional to the enclosed charge. This can occur when the charge distribution is not symmetric or when the electric field is not constant. An example of this could be a point charge located at the center of an infinite conducting sphere, where the electric field is not constant and the total flux through an infinite Gaussian surface would not be proportional to the enclosed charge.

In conclusion, while Gauss' law is most commonly applied to finite surfaces, the concept of an infinite Gaussian surface can still be useful in certain cases. It allows us to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields in certain situations. However, it is important to keep in mind that it may not always hold true and other factors such as symmetry and the nature of the charge distribution must be taken into account.

1. What is an infinite Gaussian surface?

An infinite Gaussian surface is a hypothetical surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is used in physics to simplify calculations of electric fields and flux by assuming that the surface is large enough to contain all relevant charges and is symmetrical in shape.

2. How is an infinite Gaussian surface different from a finite one?

An infinite Gaussian surface has no edge or boundary, while a finite one has a defined size and shape. Additionally, an infinite Gaussian surface is assumed to have uniform charge distribution, while a finite one may have varying charge densities.

3. How is an infinite Gaussian surface used in calculating electric fields?

By using the concept of the Gaussian surface, we can apply Gauss's law to calculate the electric field at a point due to a charge distribution. This makes calculations simpler and more efficient, especially for symmetrical charge distributions.

4. What is the significance of the Gaussian surface being symmetrical?

The symmetry of the Gaussian surface allows us to simplify calculations by making assumptions about the direction and magnitude of the electric field. This is because the electric field at any point on a symmetrical surface will have the same direction and magnitude.

5. Are there any real-life examples of an infinite Gaussian surface?

An infinite Gaussian surface is a theoretical concept and does not exist in reality. However, it is a useful tool for simplifying calculations and understanding electric fields in real-life scenarios, such as in the field of electrostatics and electromagnetism.