What is the most respectable career?

• Thread starter physicscrap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: I know a lot of firefighters. Here in Maine, the population density is not high enough to support large fire departments, but great numbers of people may be required to save lives and property on very short notice in the event of a fire, especially with the great number of old wood-frame houses with wood stoves and old chimneys.
physicscrap
In the entire world, what type of profession is most respectable? I know this is based on your opinions. I just want to hear them.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing that pops into my head is a solider. Of course this is based on my definition of respectable. One that is willing to sacrifice their life for others is respectable in my book.

Shshsh! Don't let Mr. Incredible Hear You Say This!

A "solider"? You mean Elastigirl isn't respectable?!

Engineering is way up there, mostly because the term itself means literally nothing to most people. "you're an engineer? cool, so you, like, build rocket sleds?" Sure baby, whatever you want. :cool:

Global Emperor. Imagine the babes you could get :uhh:

Moridin said:
Global Emperor. Imagine the slaves you could get :uhh:

Fixed :wink:

ShawnD said:
Engineering is way up there, mostly because the term itself means literally nothing to most people. "you're an engineer? cool, so you, like, build rocket sleds?" Sure baby, whatever you want. :cool:

rofl :rofl:

I'm wondering if the OP is confusing respectable with respected?

A janitor is a respectable job, but it's not highly respected.

Musician is 'way cool. No matter what I did in my week-day jobs, I always enjoyed the weekend gigs in local bars and taverns. You may not think that playing blues and rock in bars is respectable, but when you're getting well-paid, pretty young ladies flirt and buy you drinks, and one of your biggest fans is the national enforcer for a major motorcycle club (you've heard of them), that's a comfort zone that is hard to beat. Sure, there's the little obstacles of talent and soul if you're lacking, but you asked.

For respectable, stay away from investment councilor, clergyman, lawyer, used-car (or even new-car) salesman, loan officer, telemarketer, etc. If you're fantastically wealthy, a career as a philanthropist is a respectable endeavor.:rolleyes:

Well, lately, I would say that the most respectable and respected job far and away is firefighter.

Usually it is individuals who are lauded for their actions. In the case of firefighters, the title "hero" virtually comes with the hat.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Well, lately, I would say that the most respectable and respected job far and away is firefighter.

The mere role has been elevated to a status near that of hero.
Yes. That is a physically demanding profession that involves a degree of personal risk that most of us would not want to accept in some situations. There was a big fire in an abandoned factory in Worcester MA a number of years ago. I know a member of the response team that is still not doing well (PTSD), and his dog (a sweet pit-bull/boxer cross) and his friends are all that seem to keep him going day-to-day.

I've always wondered why firefighters were so respected. For the most part they sit around doing nothing. If they're respected because most people wouldn't go into a burning building to save someone then I'm disappointed.

Kurdt said:
I've always wondered why firefighters were so respected. For the most part they sit around doing nothing. If they're respected because most people wouldn't go into a burning building to save someone then I'm disappointed.

Disappointed that others won't risk their lives to save someone else or disappointed that they are respected for it?

stewartcs said:
Disappointed that others won't risk their lives to save someone else or disappointed that they are respected for it?
A lot of firefighters are drawn to the danger and the fire by their personalities, if you listen to reasons why they become firefighters, it's not all that savory in a lot of cases. Although I can't find fault with someone that uses such quirks for good.

stewartcs said:

Disappointed that others would seemingly find watching people suffer while they did nothing the natural choice.

Kurdt said:
Disappointed that others would seemingly find watching people suffer while they did nothing the natural choice.
I think some things like fire tend to paralyze people with fear. It's one of the first things you are taught to fear as a child.

I know a lot of firefighters. Here in Maine, the population density is not high enough to support large fire departments, but great numbers of people may be required to save lives and property on very short notice in the event of a fire, especially with the great number of old wood-frame houses with wood stoves and old chimneys. In our situation, most firefighters are volunteers, and every loss of a firefighter is deeply felt. They are friends, family, or acquaintances. When you live in a town of less than a few thousand people (most here are MUCH smaller), there is no way to lose a firefighter that does not affect the whole town.

I couldn't name just one.

I put medical people right up there...esp people who work in the ER. Tsu could tell you stories for hours that would have many here in tears in minutes. It takes a very special person to do that sort of work and really care about the patients, and not commit suicide.

Evo said:
I think some things like fire tend to paralyze people with fear. It's one of the first things you are taught to fear as a child.
That's interesting because my parents never taught me to fear anything. I learned to manage fire at an early age, and I'd split wood with an axe by the time I was 6. My grandparents cooked with a wood fired stove into the mid-60's. My dad and I would burn scrap wood, twigs and branches and some household waster, so I learned to make and control fire.

We were taught to be cautious or careful, but I was never taught to fear anything.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
That's interesting because my parents never taught me to fear anything. I learned to manage fire at an early age, and I'd split wood with an axe by the time I was 6. My grandparents cooked with a wood fired stove into the mid-60's. My dad and I would burn scrap wood, twigs and branches and some household waster, so I learned to make and control fire.

We were taught to be cautious or careful, but I never taught to fear anything.
Like you, I was never taught to fear anything, but to respect things that could get out of hand. As a kid, I worked around my uncle's Herefords, and they were mostly pretty chummy (although huge!) and I split firewood, collected tinder and twigs, and learned how to control open fires and contained (stove) fires. I also learned how to kill, and process livestock and how to butcher it after. I don't know how many people younger than 50 or so have the skills that could keep them alive with no electricity and no gasoline - the people with their fingers on these commodities have the power to destroy much of our country.

Ivan Seeking said:
I couldn't name just one.

I put medical people right up there...esp people who work in the ER. Tsu could tell you stories for hours that would have many here in tears in minutes. It takes a very special person to do that sort of work and really care about the patients, and not commit suicide.
I found myself in a quandry. I thought about police, clergy, judiciary, medicine, teacher, . . . , but it seems with all the scandals over the past few decades, what was once considered respected [I think the OP meant 'respected' rather than 'respectable' is no longer so.

Firefighters are in general respected. They do put themselves on the line, especially when it comes to wildfires! In the US, firefighters also support paramedics and often respond to automobile accidents, and sometimes search and rescue. One may not be grateful for emergency responders until one needs them.

Certainly ER doctors and nurses are respected. I agree with Ivan on that for reasons stated.

Some scientists and engineers are respected, particularly those who invent something very useful or beneficial to society.

Last edited:
i respect soldiers

Freelance mathematician/physicist/philosopher, hands down.

AFG34 said:
i respect soldiers

This may sound funny but, may I ask why?

Kurdt said:
This may sound funny but, may I ask why?
Same thing I say.

physicscrap said:
In the entire world, what type of profession is most respectable? I know this is based on your opinions. I just want to hear them.

The ruler of the country like a prime minister in Britian or president in America.

stewartcs said:

It's not that people cannot risk their lives, it is that they choose not to risk their lives and instead choose to do something productive outside of constantly jumping through burning debris to rescue Pam Anderson. The people who pick up trash have chosen a job that not even the bravest of firefighters would choose, so how tough are they?

To me, the most respectable jobs in the world are those which get no respect, because no one wants to do them and everyone knows they have to be done, like lawyers and janitors and worms (oil rig).

I know this thread is based on the new study on the most respected professions, but I'll play.

1. Firefighters and soldiers becase regardless of their motivations, they risk their lives to help others. When everyone else is running away from danger they run towards it, and it saves lives.

2. Doctors nurses, healers - They save many lives and change many more for the better. And they keep doing it, even after that 9 year old car crash victim or cancer patient doesn't make it.

3. Teachers- Molding minds, cultivating tomorrow's physicists and inventors- doesn't everyone have a teacher they'll never forget? And they put up with 30 crazy kids every day year after year for practically minimum wage at times. A round of applause for doing something that has to be done because of it's own virtue.

Many others that I'll have to leave to others to list

Zantra said:
3. Teachers- Molding minds, cultivating tomorrow's physicists and inventors- doesn't everyone have a teacher they'll never forget? And they put up with 30 crazy kids every day year after year for practically minimum wage at times. A round of applause for doing something that has to be done because of it's own virtue.

Teacher wages according to Salary.com:
10th percentile: $30,565
25th percentile: $40,144
median: ~$50,000
75th percentile: $59,512
90th percentile: $67,567

I entered the field of chemistry about a year and a half ago and my pay stayed in the range of maybe $32,000 yearly for 3 different short-term contract jobs, all of which had no benefits or pension. One of my friends became a teacher at the beginning of this school year, with a starting pay of http://www.taxpayer.com/main/news.php?news_id=1973 [Broken], as well as dental care, vision care, 1 month paid vacation, and a defined benefit pension. Out of everyone I know, she is by far the wealthiest in my age bracket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote for criminal against humanity (preferentially with a large number of genocide victims) :tongue:

It's sooo ecological !

ShawnD said:

I entered the field of chemistry about a year and a half ago and my pay stayed in the range of maybe $32,000 yearly for 3 different short-term contract jobs, all of which had no benefits or pension. One of my friends became a teacher at the beginning of this school year, with a starting pay of http://www.taxpayer.com/main/news.php?news_id=1973 [Broken], as well as dental care, vision care, 1 month paid vacation, and a defined benefit pension. Out of everyone I know, she is by far the wealthiest in my age bracket.

I guess it depends on location experience and other factors. $50K/year in NY or LA isn't that spectacular. And not if you've been a teacher for 20 years. Also, are we talking preschool teacher or college professor? Big diff. Education level? PHD making $50K?

It's good to see salaries have improved, but I remember when I was in high school one teacher mentioning that she made like $24k/year.(ok that wasn't exactly last year- but still!)

Honestly, I feel the average teacher's salary should $80k, adjusted for cost of living. And I mean with a bachelors teaching K-12. That more accurately reflects their real contribution and impact.

If we are talking about a global average and who is most respected, I would think religious leaders rank pretty high.

ShawnD said:

95% of my teachers in high school were complete morons but I did have one that I liked. She told me after another teacher had come into the room complaining of the "poor salary" that she makes $75 000 a year...that is pretty damn good in my books. I know I won't make that much when I graduate. Of course this teacher had been at that school forever, so she wasn't exactly a new graduate or anything. I'm a bit biased due to the crap teachers I have had but I think that is pretty damn good money for the job they do.

Ivan Seeking said:
If we are talking about a global average and who is most respected, I would think religious leaders rank pretty high.
Some like the Dalai Lama who advocate peace are certainly highly respected, then others like Pat Robertson or Ruhollah Khomeini (Ayatullah) who advocate violence are not. On the other hand, some people respect those who do violence based on some notion of promoting or defending a particular faith.

Some soldiers, who risk their lives to save others, are certainly respect, but then I reflect upon soldiers who efforts are used to impose the domination of certain politicial leaders over large populations of people who do not wish to be controlled by those political leaders. Then there are the soldiers (or military personnel) who kill innocent and unarmed civilians.

I've had some great teachers (majority) and not so great teachers.

Ultimately it comes down to the individual regardless of profession.

Kurdt said:
This is very bizarre logic (that is, if you're not pullin' our leg). You think that they don't deserve respect because they sit around doing nothing a lot? If they took up professional housecleaning while waiting, that would make them more respectable?