Ice Calorimetry: Determine DeltaH for Ca + HCl Rxn

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an ice calorimeter to determine the enthalpy change for the reaction between metallic Ca and hydrochloric acid. The equation for the reaction is provided and the steps for calculating deltaH are explained. The question is then asked if the calculation is correct, to which the response is positive. The conversation ends with a request for further information on ice calorimeters.
Mitchtwitchita
Is there anybody that can tell me if I'm doing this question right?

Metallic Ca reacts with hydrochloric acid according to the following equation:
Ca(s) + 2 HCl(aq) ---> 2 CaCl2 (aq) + H2(g)
The enthalpy change associated with this reaction can be determined with an ice calorimeter. If 13.59 g of ice are melted when 0.3487 g of Ca reacts with excess hydrochloric acid, what is deltaH (in kJ/mol Ca) for the reaction written above? The heat of fusion of ice is 333 J/g.

qrxn + qfusion = 0
qrxn = ndeltaHrxn
=(13.59 g H2O)(0.333 kJ/g)
=4.53 kJ

0.3487 g Ca X 1 mol Ca/40.08 g Ca = 8.70 x 10^-3 mol

4.53 KJ/8.70 x 10^-3 mol = 521 kJ/mol?

Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

Thanks Chemisttree!

thack you

please if anyone who know any thing about ice calorimeter please go to this subject in chemstry fourm ((i need information about ice calorimeter please help me.))

thanx much

1. What is ice calorimetry?

Ice calorimetry is a technique used in chemistry to measure the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It involves using ice as a heat sink to absorb the released heat and determine the enthalpy change of the reaction.

2. How does ice calorimetry work?

In ice calorimetry, a known amount of reactants is added to a measured amount of ice in a calorimeter. As the reaction takes place, the heat released is absorbed by the ice, causing it to melt. The change in mass of the ice can then be used to calculate the enthalpy change of the reaction.

3. Why is ice used in calorimetry?

Ice is used in calorimetry because it has a known and constant specific heat capacity. This means that a known amount of heat is required to melt a specific amount of ice, making it a reliable heat sink for measuring the enthalpy change of a reaction.

4. What is the equation used in ice calorimetry?

The equation used in ice calorimetry is q = mCΔT, where q is the heat absorbed by the ice, m is the mass of the ice, C is the specific heat capacity of ice (2.09 J/g°C), and ΔT is the change in temperature of the ice.

5. Are there any limitations to using ice calorimetry?

Yes, there are some limitations to using ice calorimetry. For example, it can only be used for reactions that occur in aqueous solutions, as the ice must be in direct contact with the reactants. It also assumes that all of the heat released by the reaction is absorbed by the ice, which may not always be the case.