Spring Constant and Work (2 separate problems)

In summary, a spring gun has a constant of 6.0 and a ball leaves the gun at a speed of 1.31 m/s. If it is shot off (horizontally) a 6 ft high table, it will land 1.5 ft from the base of the table.
kudelko24
The spring of a spring gun has a constant of 6.0. It is compressed 0.0508 meters and a ball weighing 0.009 kg is placed in the barrel against the spring.

a. What is the maximum speed of the ball as it leaves the gun?
Vf = sqrt (k/m)x Xi = 1.31 m/s

b. If it is shot off (horizontally) a 6 ft high table, how far from the base of the table will it land?

Would I use x = vot + 1/2at2 ? To find the time and then insert into the problem? I'm confused.

And the second problem...

I dead lift to a height of 30 inches 500lbs and proceed to walk the length of a football field (100 yds) and set the weight back down. Because I'm in great shape, I barely work up a sweat but how much work did I do?

with 30 inches = .762m
m= 500lbs, 2,224 N
x= 100 yds, 91 m

W = F change in X
=2,224Nx(91m) = 202,384J

This seems like an unreasonably high amount of work. I didn't take into consideration lifting the weight because it is perpendicular to the amount of work being done. Only the parallel force matters, right?
Thanks for any and all help.

Physics news on Phys.org
2b) Try solving for time in the y first and then using that to get distance.

As for the second problem, consider that work is the dot product between force and displacement. This means work is F*D*Cos(). So there are three parts to this problem. Lifting the weight, walking, and then setting it down. Consider all three separately, keeping the angle between force and displacement in mind!

Nabeshin said:
2b) Try solving for time in the y first and then using that to get distance.

As for the second problem, consider that work is the dot product between force and displacement. This means work is F*D*Cos(). So there are three parts to this problem. Lifting the weight, walking, and then setting it down. Consider all three separately, keeping the angle between force and displacement in mind!

Thank you for the reply. I will look over the problem this weekend and can hopefully figure it out. Wish me luck.

So for the second problem cos*90 because of the right angle from dead lifting the weight and it being perpendicular to the ground?

Hi kudelko24! :smile:

Work is force times distance moved parallel to the direction of the force. :smile:

(not like torque, which uses perpendicular distance!)

tiny-tim said:

Work is force times distance moved parallel to the direction of the force. :smile:

(not like torque, which uses perpendicular distance!)

So the amount of work being done is 0, correct? Because Work = force * displacement * cos (). Cos = 1 because of the force being straight up and down, parallel. There's positive work being done and then that cancels out the negative work when he sets the weight back to the ground.

Yes … the total work done on the weight is zero.

Of course, the amount of energy you expend is very considerable … beats me where it all goes … :confused:

tiny-tim said:

Yes … the total work done on the weight is zero.

Of course, the amount of energy you expend is very considerable … beats me where it all goes … :confused:

Awesome... thank you! That was some what of a confusing question, but the more I looked into it, the more I understood it. Thanks again.

1. What is the definition of spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. It is represented by the equation: k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

3. What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material and dimensions of the spring. It also depends on the number of coils, the diameter and length of the wire, and the shape of the spring.

4. What is the relationship between spring constant and potential energy?

The spring constant is directly proportional to the potential energy stored in the spring. This means that as the spring constant increases, the potential energy also increases.

5. How does work relate to spring constant?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. In the case of a spring, the work done is equal to the area under the force-displacement curve, which is represented by the spring constant. This means that the spring constant is a measure of the work done on the spring.