Calculating Tension in a Massless Cable for a Moon Orbit

In summary, the tension in the cable holding the moon in its orbit can be calculated using the equation T=Ma, where a is the centripetal acceleration and v is the tangential velocity. After converting the period of the moon's orbit to seconds, the correct value for v should be 2*pi*R/T, not 2*pi/T. By plugging in the correct values for v and a, the tension in the cable can be calculated to be approximately 1354.67N.
Lanc1988

Homework Statement

Suppose the moon were held in its orbit not by gravity but by the tension in a massless cable. You are given that the period of the moon's orbit is T = 27.3 days, the mean distance from the Earth to the moon is R = 3.85 x 10^8 m, and the mass of the moon is M = 7.35 x 10^22 kg.

What would the tension in the cable be?

Homework Equations

Centripetal Acceleration = v^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Tension = Ma
a = v^2/R
v = 2pi/T

First I concerted the 27.3 days to seconds which is T = 2.358*10^6. Which means that v = 2.6638*10^-6. Then I plugged that in for a, so a = 1.843*10^-20. So then the Tension should be 7.35*10^22 * 1.843*10^-20 which is 1354.67N. But it is saying that is the wrong answer. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take another look at your equation for velocity. It isn't right.

thanks.. i figured it out :)

i calculated the angular velocity and got w = 2.66*10^-6 and then multiplied that by R to get the acceleration.

No, I mean it doesn't make sense. Velocity is m/s right? Where is the "m" in your equation?! If the moon is moving in a circle, what distance does it go in one revolution?

Velocity is the "directional displacement" covered over a period of time. Considering that the direction in this case is perpendicular to the radius vector at all points, you'd have to look a bit closer at v = 2*pi/T...is that really the "directional displacement" (distance in this case) over time?...you're missing a variable.

Since the tension is replacing gravity, it must be equal to gravitational force. So you could do F=GMm/d^2 for gravitational force.

tony873004 said:
Since the tension is replacing gravity, it must be equal to gravitational force. So you could do F=GMm/d^2 for gravitational force.

You technically could do this if the values they gave you are correct. But it might be best to stick simply to what you were doing earlier. You just need to take into account the right expression for the tangential velocity.

1. How do you calculate the tension in a massless cable for a moon orbit?

The tension in a massless cable for a moon orbit can be calculated using the equation T = m * v^2 / r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the moon, v is the velocity of the moon, and r is the radius of the moon's orbit.

2. Why is the cable considered massless in this calculation?

In this scenario, the cable is assumed to have a negligible mass compared to the mass of the moon. This allows us to simplify the calculation and consider the cable as having no mass.

3. How does the tension change as the moon orbits around the planet?

The tension in the cable will vary throughout the moon's orbit. As the moon moves closer to the planet, the tension will increase due to the decrease in radius. Similarly, as the moon moves further away from the planet, the tension will decrease.

4. Can the cable break due to the tension in this scenario?

Since the cable is assumed to be massless, it will not break due to tension. However, if the cable has a non-zero mass, it could potentially break under extreme tension.

5. How does the tension in the cable affect the moon's orbit?

The tension in the cable plays a crucial role in maintaining the moon's orbit. If the tension is too low, the moon could potentially escape the planet's gravitational pull and drift off into space. On the other hand, if the tension is too high, it could pull the moon closer to the planet and alter its orbit.