Energy in a charged metal plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy contained in a charged plate of charge Q coulombs and whether it is independent of the method used to obtain it. It is determined that the energy is stored as electrical energy and follows the law of conservation of energy. The formula for the potential energy in a parallel plate capacitor is also mentioned.
raybuzz
Hi all,
If i have a charged plate of charge Q coulumbs, then what is the energy contained in it?
Is the energy independent of the way in which i managed to get a single plate of Q columbs charge? In the sense , suppose in the beginning there were two plates of charge +Q, -Q columbs and distance r apart, then i manage to apply mechanical energy against the electrostatic force of attraction between the plates and i separate it to large( say infinite) distance apart, then the mechanical energy spent will be--
Q^2/ 4pi(epsilon o)r

from law of conservation of energy this mechanical energy spent in seperating the plates must be stored as electric energy?? I am confused please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy stored in a capacitor is 1/2CV^2...

for a parallel plate configuration, C= keA/d.

So yes, this is the potential energy, the amount of work, in theory required to separate the plates to infinity...to pull the charges apart...or it's the amount of energy recovered if the plates are allowed to come together...and it's the amount of chemical energy depleted from a battery charging the plates.

your stated formula looks like one for an isolated spherical configuration, hence "R":

The potential for an isolated conducting sphere is V = q/4pi eR, so W= qV becomes

W=q^2/4pi eR...but that's not for a parallel plate capacitor...

Ok, say the energy is .5CV^2
Then the energy required to separate it is .5CV^2.
From the law of conservation of energy this energy is converted to another form.
I want to know if it is infact stored as electrical energy in the two charged plates.
There doesn't seem to be a way in which we can find the energy on a charged, single plate.

1. What is the concept of "energy in a charged metal plate"?

The concept of "energy in a charged metal plate" refers to the potential energy that is stored in a metal plate when it is charged with excess electrons. This energy is in the form of an electric field that surrounds the plate and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of other charged objects.

2. How is the energy in a charged metal plate calculated?

The energy in a charged metal plate can be calculated using the formula E = ½CV², where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance of the plate in farads, and V is the potential difference between the two sides of the plate in volts.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a charged metal plate?

The amount of energy stored in a charged metal plate is affected by the capacitance of the plate, the potential difference between the two sides of the plate, and the distance between the plates. Additionally, the type of metal and its surface area can also have an impact on the amount of energy stored.

4. How is the energy in a charged metal plate released?

The energy in a charged metal plate can be released by either connecting it to a circuit, allowing the excess electrons to flow out and do work, or by discharging the plate through a spark or shock. The amount of energy released will depend on the capacitance and potential difference of the plate.

5. What is the significance of understanding the energy in a charged metal plate?

Understanding the energy in a charged metal plate is important in many areas of science and technology, from understanding the behavior of electricity and circuits to applications in engineering and electronics. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as electrochemistry and quantum mechanics.