Help, proving set theorem

In summary, the conversation is about proving the statement "A contained B iff A n B = A" by showing that A n B is a subset of A and A is a subset of A n B. The conversation also includes an attempt at a solution, which includes using cases and incorrect equations. The correct approach is to show that A is a subset of B.
mbcsantin

Homework Statement

Prove A contained B iff A n B = A

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do the questions but I am just not sure if i did it right. id appreciate if you can check my work and let me know what changes i have to make. thanks

the symbol "n" means "intersect"
U for Union

(=>) Assume A contained B

Let x is an element of A, since A n A = A, x is an element of A and x is an element of B

Case 1: x is an element of A: Since A contained B, x is an element of B so
x is an element of A n B

Case 2: x is an element of B: If x is an element of B then
x is an element of (A n B)

Hence x is an element of A n B

This shows A contained A n B

(<=) Assume A n B = A then

A’=A’UA
= A’ U (A n B)
=(A’UA) n (A’U B)
= empty set n A’ U B
= A’ U B

Hence
Universe = A’ U B

Physics news on Phys.org
mbcsantin said:
Let x is an element of A, since A n A = A, x is an element of A and x is an element of B
You don't need the "since A n A = A" part.

Case 1: x is an element of A: Since A contained B, x is an element of B so
x is an element of A n B

Case 2: x is an element of B: If x is an element of B then
x is an element of (A n B)

Hence x is an element of A n B

This shows A contained A n B
You don't need cases here. You want to show that A n B = A: Do this by first showing that A n B is a subset of A and then showing that A is a subset of A n B. (Do you see why this implies A n B = A?)

(<=) Assume A n B = A then

A’=A’UA
= A’ U (A n B)
=(A’UA) n (A’U B)
= empty set n A’ U B
= A’ U B

Hence
Universe = A’ U B
What is A' exactly? Also, you state that A’=A’UA but then you have that A’=A’UA is the empty set. Surely there is something wrong here. You just need to show that A is a subset of B. Do this by picking a random member of A and show that it also belongs to B.

1. What is a set theorem?

A set theorem is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between sets, typically using logical operators such as intersection, union, and complement. It is used to prove the properties of sets and their elements.

2. How do you prove a set theorem?

To prove a set theorem, you need to follow a series of logical steps using previously established definitions, axioms, and theorems. This process involves using deductive reasoning to show that the statement is true for all possible cases.

3. What is the importance of set theorems in mathematics?

Set theorems are essential in mathematics because they provide a formal and rigorous framework for studying sets and their properties. They also allow us to prove the validity of mathematical statements and solve complex problems involving sets.

4. Are there different types of set theorems?

Yes, there are various types of set theorems, including those related to set operations, cardinality, and ordered sets. Each type of set theorem has its own unique properties and applications in mathematics.

5. Can set theorems be applied in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the concepts and principles of set theorems can be applied in various fields, including computer science, statistics, and physics. Set theory is a foundational concept in these fields and is used to model and analyze complex systems.