What is n for the shaded region?

• Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of n for which the area of the shaded region between two functions is 50% and 80% of the area of a unit square. The equations and methods used include definite integrals and the fundamental theorem of calculus. The solution involves evaluating an integral and solving for n.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Find the value of n so that the area of the shaded region (refer to attached picture) in the following diagram is a) 50% of the area of the unit square b) 80% of the area of the unit square

Homework Equations

Definate integral properities, fundamental theorem of calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher says this is an easy question, but I cannot seem to solve it. My first guess was to take the integral of the two functions and then use the percentages as the answers for the integral, solving for n in each case (in this case I made 50% = 1/2 and 80% = 4/5). This did not get me very far for I came up with square roots and fractions in my answers when they should be simply be one number answers. Am I doing this question right through this method, or is this the wrong procedure and do I need to do something different to find the correct answers? Any help would be very welcome, thanks in advance. PS: sorry for the bad picture :tongue:

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
The picture has been pending approval for several hours. Can you describe the region in words?

There are two functions, y = x^n and y = x^1/n located in region I of the graph. The area to be found is the area in-between these two functions, and runs from their point of intersection at (0,0) to the other point at (1,1). y = x^n is located below y = x^1/n (though I'm sure you probably already figured that out :tongue:).

[tex]A=\int_0^1\int_{x^n}^{x^{1/n}} dydx[/tex]
(depending if n>1 or n<1)

Evaluate the integral then solve for n. I get:

[tex]\frac{n}{n+1}-\frac{1}{n+1}=A[/tex]

Last edited:
I understand the last part, but I don't know how to get (n-1)/(n+1) from that integral you used. Unless you mean finding the integral of x^1/n - x^n over [0,1]?

Hi. Didn't notice you replied until now.

<< solution deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks squidsoft, I managed to solve that one.

1. What is the formula for finding n in the shaded region?

The formula for finding n in the shaded region depends on the specific shape of the region. Generally, you will need to use the formula for the area of the larger shape and subtract the area of the unshaded region to find the area of the shaded region. From there, you can solve for n using algebraic equations.

2. How do I identify the unshaded region in order to find n for the shaded region?

In order to find the unshaded region, you will need to analyze the given information and determine which parts of the larger shape are not shaded. This could involve finding missing measurements, using geometry principles, or using logic to determine which areas are not shaded.

3. Can I use the same method to find n for any shaded region?

No, the method for finding n will vary depending on the shape of the shaded region. Some shapes may require more complex formulas or a different approach altogether. It is important to carefully analyze the given information and determine the best method for finding n.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for finding n in a shaded region?

One useful tip is to break the larger shape into smaller, more manageable shapes. This can make it easier to find the area of the unshaded region and then subtract it from the total area to find the area of the shaded region. Additionally, using visual aids such as diagrams or drawings can also help with understanding and solving the problem.

5. Is it necessary to find n for the shaded region?

In some cases, finding n for the shaded region may not be necessary. If the goal is simply to find the area of the shaded region, you may be able to use a different method that does not involve finding n. However, if the problem specifically asks for the value of n, then it will be necessary to find it in order to fully solve the problem.